Oct 18, 2010

The Peperon-tini

Once again, I'm deviating from my planned Monday posts here. I'm supposed to be doing a beer review today, but I haven't really tried anything new beer-wise in the past few weeks. I guess I could just review a beer I've had in the past, but that doesn't feel fresh.

So instead, I'll review a new cocktail that I made for the first time recently.

The Peperon-tini

3 1/2 oz Absolut Citron (or any citron vodka)
1/2 oz peperoncini juice
3 dashes green Tabasco
Spicy pepperoni and peperoncini for garnish

This one is soooo simple to make. A twist on the classic dirty olive martini. Instead of adding a bit of juice from the olive jar, you add juice from the peperoncini jar. Easy, peasy...

Add the vodka, peperoncini juice and Tabasco to a shaker filled with ice. Shake yer giggles out. Pour into a chilled glass and garnish with a round of spicy pepperoni and a whole peperoncini. That's it. If you like, you can rim the glass with some sea salt, but it's not necessary.

Gia is more of a fan of spicy cocktails than I, but I really liked this one. The citrus from the vodka and the spice from the peperoncini and Tabasco went together really well. Dangerously well. I could see having 3 or 4 or these bad boys, if I found myself on a roll. Yeah...dangerous. Gia tried one with the salt on the rim first and loved it, then tried it without the salt and she loved it even more.

We found this one in a book of 60 spicy cocktails recipes that Gia picked up for me. She likes spicy cocktails and I like making them for her. Match made in...well, somewhere.

1 down, 59 to go. Huzzah!

___________________________________________________
Note: Remember to play the Badgerdaddy Trivia Challenge every day. Can't wait to try the Wasabi-tini.

15 comments:

Candy's daily Dandy said...

You had me at peperoncini.....

What's really sick is that it's 8:30 in the morning and my mouth was watering while reading this.

I soooo wrote that one down..

Verdant Earl said...

Candy - what I love is that it's sooooo easy to make. Usually the cocktails that Gia loves take a 1/2 hour of prep time.

Slyde said...

you havent tried anything new beer-wise?

werent you JUST telling me yesterday that you were relaxing while enjoying a beer enema?

hello haha narf said...

oh hell no. my belly would get all about tore up from that concoction. i'll stick with ketel one dirty. very, very dirty.
;)

Verdant Earl said...

Slyde - You never use beer in an enema. The carbonation tickles.

Becky - I love olives in my martinis, but I'm not a big fan of the dirty martini. I think it ruins the taste of the gin. And no...I generally don't consider a martini a martini unless it's made with gin.

hello haha narf said...

ok, i'll bite...then what do you call my ketel one VODKA shaken with some olive juice and poured into a martini glass?

Heff said...

That Pepperoni/Beer concoction I made that time was pretty good too.

Verdant Earl said...

Becky - a vodka cocktail. Or you could qualify it as a vodka martini. But you can't just call it a martini. A martini is made with gin. Period.

Heff - Spicy beer is good too!

sybil law said...

I'm with Becky - I like vodka martinis; gin is just icky.
I think I'd like this one, too - as long as no one told me what was in it. :)

hello haha narf said...

well, i suppose since i always order it as "a ketel one martini, dirty...very dirty" that i am sort of saying vodka martini.
and you are a cranky pants gin elitist. heehee

marty mankins said...

As a lover of martinis, I may have to try this one.

Verdant Earl said...

Sybil - I'm just teasing Becky, but I am a bit of a martini purist.

Becky - See? ;)

Marty - It's a good'un!

Mrs. Hall said...

Shake yer giggles out.

that will be the name of my next blog.

:)

Verdant Earl said...

Holly - that was from some kid's song or entertainer. Maybe Rafi. My nephew used to love that.

Verdant Earl said...

Holly - OOOPS! It was "shake your sillies out" and it was from The Wiggles. Easy mistake. Sillies/Wiggles/Giggles...