Aug 13, 2012

Weekend Bullets

I haven't been doing a lot to keep you up-to-date on the ins and outs that make my life so spectacular. Or the boring details of every day life might be more apropos. I'll let you decide with some sexy bullet points. So let's have at 'em!
  • We've been watching the appropriate amount of the XXX (hehehe) Summer Olympics these past two weeks. What's appropriate? How the hell should I know what's appropriate for you? What's appropriate for us is very, very little. In primetime anyway. I work from home so I'll have the Olympics on during the day with the sound down. But it's usually water polo or handball or platform diving or some other sport I don't really give a crap about. Can you name the five events in the Modern Pentathlon? Liar!
  • I am going to watch a bit of the closing ceremonies on Sunday night. Just to see The Who perform. Not The Spice Girls. Seriously. Zig-a-zig-aah! UPDATE: OK, I watched just about all of the closing ceremonies. I'm a sucker for lip-synching.
  • We've actually been watching a lot of HBO lately. A LOT OF HBO. I signed up with the idea that we were going to drop it as soon as we finished Season 2 of A Game of Thrones, but the content available on HBO GO is amazing and we may keep it for a while. We've caught up on Season 3 of East Bound and Down (amazing) and we are well into the second/last season of Rome (also amazing). With every episode of every season the majority of their shows like The Wire, Deadwood, Carnivale, Tru Blood, Treme, etc... available, well...we might keep our HBO subscription for a few months. If it weren't for HBO GO, we'd shit-can it right now. But that service is pretty damned amazing. Even if the interface for our Roku player sucks. Did I use the word "amazing" enough in that bullet? #overkill
  • Egg salad made with Trader Joe's Wasabi Mayo is fucking incredible! I was going to say it was fucking amazing, but that last bullet put me over my amazing limit. Now I'm seriously over. Crap. But the egg salad? Amazing!
  • We had the worst ribs of all-time over the weekend. My fault. I purchased some ribs already vacuum-packed in a dry rub at a local supermarket, figuring they would be decent. They were far from it. Tough and fatty...pretty much the worst combination every any BBQ. I shan't make the same mistake twice. 
  • Went to go see The Dark Knight Rises on Saturday. I really enjoyed it. I thought it was the perfect final chapter in the trilogy. Leaning heavily on the events of both the first two films instead of a direct sequel to the second alone. Christopher Nolan, Christian Bale, Anne Hathaway, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Tom Hardy, Gary Oldman and Marion Cotillard all brought their A games. Very well done Batman flick all-in-all. Very well done.
  • Went to see it at an IMAX theater in a large shopping center/outlet mall, and when we got out there was a live performance of a band called Boys Like Girls going on in the large outdoor center portion of the outlet. We had no idea who they were. In fact, the only we we did know who they were is because my buddy asked a female security guard "Who the fuck are these guys?" She laughed before letting us know. There were hundred and hundreds of people in the audience singing along to every word of each song (or the two we heard). I have no words. This is music? I don't get it.
  • Spent most of the day on Sunday at the beach. We have a lovely little beach about 3 minutes from our home and it was a really perfect day. Mostly sunny with some clouds and a nice breeze to cool us off. I, of course, spent most of the time under a large beach umbrella covered with SPF 9000. I'm a delicate flower. Afterward, we headed out to a local joint for some fresh seafood appetizers, summer salads, bbq pulled pork sandwiches and ice-cold beers. Pretty much the perfect Sunday, if you ask me. 
So, what have you been up to?

2 comments:

Kate said...

Your Sunday sounds AMAZING!

marty mankins said...

Since I don't have HBO (we have the most basic of cable), I have missed out on many of the great shows they have made. But about the remedy that in the next few months (or so my wife tells me/teases me)