Feb 23, 2011

Bucatini All'Amatriciana

Here's what I cooked last night for the two of us.  Bucatini All'Amatriciana from Mario Batali's Babbo Ristorante in NYC.  And it was deeee-licious!

You can check out the recipe on that link, and I followed it pretty closely too.  I used pancetta instead of guanciale (a substitution suggested on the website), and I omitted the shredded carrot in the sauce.  Other than that, it was the genuine article.  It came out as a real thick and hearty dish with just about every flavor represented in every bite.  You could really taste the red onion, thyme, parsley, pancetta and garlic along with the tomato.  It was delicious, if not as light a dish as my usual favorite pasta creation.  Good for a cold winter evening.

Mario Batali's Version
Earl's version


PS - Hat tip to Alex Belth over at the Bronx Banter Blog for the heads up.  I don't know if I've mentioned his blog before, but it's a favorite of mine.  Sure, he writes about his beloved NY Yankees a great deal.  But in between the baseball posts are some great stuff about food, movies, music and life in NYC.  In other words, it's my kinda jernt.

12 comments:

Slyde said...

that sounds alittle too much like "Bukaki" for my liking....

Verdant Earl said...

Slyde - do you know who Alison Brie is? The cute brunette from Community. Well, she had never heard that term before and her followers encouraged her to Google it. She. was. not. pleased. But I think you spelled it wrong, dude.

Paticus said...

I was gonna say that it looked awful good, but all this bukkake talk is putting a bit of a damper on my appetite. :) And the spellcheck has no correction for my spelling of bukkake.

Mrs. Hall said...

Wow. Bronx Banter Blog has my full attention now. Good read indeed!

thanks for the heads up!

Verdant Earl said...

Paticus - Yeah, Slyde ruins everything...

Holly - It really is a great site. Glad you like it.

marty mankins said...

That's a mighty fine looking dish there. And the food looks good, too.

hello haha narf said...

yours looks even better than his! love your bowl, too.

Verdant Earl said...

Marty - they are nice dishes.

Becky - what I said to Marty. ;)

Poppy said...

That looks lovely... I might need to drag Dawg there.

Verdant Earl said...

Poppy - I've never eaten there, but it was pretty easy to make if you so desire. Yummy too.

sybil law said...

Yours looks better than his!
YUM.
I don't know why I'm so hungry. I think I have the munchies.

Verdant Earl said...

Sybil - whatcha been doin? ;)