Feb 2, 2011

"Don't ya HATE Perry's wife?"

It's time to pull out that old chestnut.  Movie Quote Trivia time!

You guess the film from the quotes I provide in the comments section.  As the correct answers roll in, I'll update the post with the answer and the smart cookie who gave it.  So let's get down to it, boppers.

________________________________________________________

1.  "One man... you go high enough you always come to one man... who?" - Payback (badgerdaddy)

2.  "What do I think about the U.S. involvement in the war? We should win it." - Full Metal Jacket (LeSombre)

3.  "They sold their bodies to medicine for money. About $30, I think." - Fast Times at Ridgemont High (Sybil Law)

4.  "What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?" - Blazing Saddles (hard to believe no one remembered this one)

5.  "...I agreed that what really matters is what you like, not what you are like... Books, records, films - these things matter. Call me shallow but it's the fuckin' truth, and by this measure I was having one of the best dates of my life." - High Fidelity (Sybil Law)

6.  "Chrissy, over on the wall, bring me the big knife. I want to cut my throat." - Moonstruck (LeSombre)

7.  "Did you just call me Coltrane?" - The Royal Tenenbaums (Sybil Law)

8.  "No, I'm from the Island. We don't go to the city - crazy people out there with guns." - Diggers (I like to pick at least one movie that is really obscure.  This was it.  A small Paul Rudd film that was really good.  Especially if you grew up on Long Island in the 1970's.)

9.  "Hell's waking up every goddamn day and not even knowing why you're here." - Sin City (LeSombre)

10. "Koufax looks down! He's looking at the great Mickey Mantle now! Here comes the pitch! Mantle swings! It's a fucking home run!" - One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (Paticus)

11. "Just be careful, because it's a meaningful sweater to me, it's vintage." - Superbad (LeSombre)

12. "Tough luck, Lonnehan. But that's what you get for playing with your head up your ass!" - The Sting (badgerdaddy)

13. "Hey, lemme ask you a question. In the legal sense, can fuckin' Steinbrenner move the Yankees? Does he have the fuckin' right to just move them?" - Rounders (LeSombre)

14. "The ocean? It's over the ocean to Scranton, Pennsylvania?" - The In-Laws (the original one with Alan Arkin and Peter Falk.  Brilliant film.)

15. "Everything happens to me. Now I'm shot by a child." - True Grit (White Rabbit)

16. "The rose goes in the front, big guy." - Bull Durham (Ren)

17. "When ever there is any doubt, there is no doubt. That is the first thing they teach you." - Ronin (LeSombre)

18. "What was he wearing? Well, uh, let's see, he was wearing a red argyle sweater, and tan trousers, and red shoes... No, he's not retarded." - Sixteen Candles (Paticus)

Bonus questions: The title (Arthur - Paticus/Steph) and the label (The Usual Suspects - Paticus) of this post.  Go get 'em kids!

31 comments:

Kaye Waller said...

I don't know about a lot of the other quotes, but the "Perry's Wife" quote is from one of my all-time favorite movies.

"Perry, you're a dead man!"

badgerdaddy said...

Is the label quote from Heathers?

Number one might be Payback or Point Blank. It's familiar, anyway.

Number 12 is The Sting, for sure.

Paticus said...

Title-"Arthur"

10 -"One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest"

18 "Sixteen Candles"

Paticus said...

Ooh! And the label is "Usual Suspects"

Avitable said...

I don't recognize a single one of these.

Verdant Earl said...

SK - yes, its from that film. But you have to name it. Hehe.

badger - label - no. #1 - Payback, yes. 12 - yes

Paticus - title - yes. #10 - yes. #18 - yes. label - yes.

Avitable - you will know all of the films though.

Avitable said...

I've actually never seen The Sting or One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, or Arthur. I'm wondering how many of them are films like that.

Verdant Earl said...

Adam - Oh, man...you should see all three of those films right away! You may not like Arthur at first. I hated it initially, but it won me over after repeated viewings. Mostly because Gia loves it.

white rabbit said...

Me Sir! Me at the back, Sir!

15 is from True Grit

Verdant Earl said...

Wabbit - Correct. Have a carrot.

Ren said...

16 - Bull Durham

Several others are taunting me.

Verdant Earl said...

Ren - Correct!

Kaye Waller said...

I didn't realize that. Doh! And here I was trying to be considerate. That'll teach me!

Verdant Earl said...

Steph - I gave ya partial credit anyways. :)

sybil law said...

I know 2 of them!
#5 - High Fidelity
#7 - The Royal Tenenbaums!

I didn't check to see if anyone else got them.

Verdant Earl said...

Sybil - yes, and yes! You got 'em!

Mrs. Hall said...

#9: The Bourne Identity

Mrs. Hall said...

#17: A few good men

Verdant Earl said...

Holly - good guesses...but no and no.

Water Logged Canine said...

I just asked Jeeves and got them all. Lycos fetched me the answers. Googled 'em til it hurt.

This was easy.

sybil law said...

At first I was like, "Earl's a dick!", and then I saw that I completely missed #3 - Fast Times! WTF.
So - yay, for you!
Haha

Verdant Earl said...

Doggie - No Bing?

Sybil - Yay! You got it!

Unknown said...

"What do I think about the U.S. involvement in the war? We should win it."
I am going with Wag the Dog, but my second guess would be Full Metal Jacket.

"They sold their bodies to medicine for money. About $30, I think."
Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Classic Spicoli.

"What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?"
No clue.

"Chrissy, over on the wall, bring me the big knife. I want to cut my throat."
Moonstruck

"No, I'm from the Island. We don't go to the city - crazy people out there with guns."
No clue.

"Hell's waking up every goddamn day and not even knowing why you're here."
I love Marv. Sin City.

"Just be careful, because it's a meaningful sweater to me, it's vintage."
I swear Superbad is based on my teenage years. ;-)

"Hey, lemme ask you a question. In the legal sense, can fuckin' Steinbrenner move the Yankees? Does he have the fuckin' right to just move them?"
Rounders.

"The ocean? It's over the ocean to Scranton, Pennsylvania?"
No Clue. The Office? LOL!

"When ever there is any doubt, there is no doubt. That is the first thing they teach you."
That movie was bad, but since I'm in love with Japan, Ninjas and Samurais I saw it. Ronin.

Mrs. Hall said...

6!!!! MOONSTRUCK!!!!!

Mrs. Hall said...

FUCK

too late!

Verdant Earl said...

LeSombre - Yes on Full Metal Jacket, Moonstruck, Sin City, Superbad, Rounders and Ronin. And Fast Times, but Sybil already guessed that. Well done!

Holly - Awww...too bad. :(

Verdant Earl said...

2 of the last 3 are pretty hard. But I thought someone would recognize #4 by now. I've actually used that quote in real life...I thought it was pretty recognizable.

Bruce Johnson said...

I am just drawing a blank on most of these.......we obviously have different taste in cinema.

Verdant Earl said...

Bruce - yet oddly, I enjoy most of the films you write about. When you write about your laser disc collection, that is.

Verdant Earl said...

OK - I posted the three missing films that no one got. Shame on all of you. :)

sybil law said...

I can't believe I missed the Blazing Saddles quote, either! And I missed The In -Laws quote?! That movie is hysterical - Peter Falk and whichever Arkin. Love it.