Feb 24, 2011

The End

I have this weird memory from about 30 years ago that I refuse to let go.  It's because I've made it a part of a conditioned response that I have.  Like whenever I hear someone say "mostly", I repeat it, but in a little girl Newt voice from the film Aliens.  If you dig that movie, then you know what I mean.  If you don't, please don't judge me.

This other conditioned response I've developed comes whenever anyone mentions the Doors or Jim Morrison.  It, thankfully, doesn't happen that often.  Not that I don't appreciate the Doors.  Hell, I kinda like them.  But I say thankfully because this particular conditioned response makes me smile every time, and I wanna keep it that way.

You see, there was this comedian I saw on TV way back around 1980 who did this bit about how Jim Morrison's life would have been a lot different if he had become some kind of clown-poet.  And then the comedian, it may have been Bob Nelson, started in with Clown Jim's version of "The End".

The clown awoke before dawn,
he put his clown shoes on
He put on a clown face
from an ancient gallery
And he, he, HE FLOPPED ON DOWN THE HALL!

I don't know why, but that always made me laugh.  It still does to this day.  So whenever the Doors or Jim Morrison (or the end of Apocalypse Now) comes up, I wanna yell out "HE FLOPPED ON DOWN THE HALL!"

It's all I can do to keep it to myself when it's, ahem, not appropriate.  Ya know?

15 comments:

sybil law said...

Hahaha - that's awesome. :D

Verdant Earl said...

Sybil - Did you see that RW included something like this in his post today? Weird, huh?

RW said...

I say stuff and nobody realizes what the hell it's from or what it relates to and I'm sitting there going "it's a fuckin' XXXXX reference, dummy!"

I seriously need to buy you a beer...

Verdant Earl said...

RW - I could use one right about now.

Kaye Waller said...

Yeah, that's one of those that will make me laugh every time I think of it. Thanks, guy!

Paticus said...

That's fantastic!And it's kinda creepy to imagine Jim Morrison in clown make-up, which is the image in my brain right now.

Verdant Earl said...

SK - I'm guessing the Doors come up a bit more often for you then they do for me. So you're welcome! :)

Paticus - they way the comedian did it was hilarious too.

Mrs. Hall said...

because of the ADD brain of mine I remember wierd bits of MOST EVERYTHING. It's like a steel trap my memory. Then, THEN I tend to watch things when they are long past their moment in the pop culture sunshine.

So, my jokes and references tend to be specific to a certain demographic. Luckily, I have a husband who TOTALLY gets it and watches the things I watch.

So we have our inside jokes like . . AND HE FLOPPED DOWN THE HALL! that is awesome cause it's funny and it's just for us!

:)

Slyde said...

i want to bang you...

mostly.

Slyde said...

p.s. my post verification word is "COCTERS"


i think thats my new nickname for you.

hello haha narf said...

you are seriously fucked up. i dig that about you!

Verdant Earl said...

Slyde - mostly <- in Newt's voice

Becky - :)

Rob Summers said...

I remember that bit and still use it to this day. Who was that guy? He was awesome!!! Didn't he also do the Rolling Stones in the Wizard of Oz? Follow follow the yellow brick road...

jjmalone1966 said...

I've been trying to find that bit too. This is the only reference to it on the web.

Unknown said...

And then his parent yelled at him "Jim go to bed!" And he ended with a silly walk while adding 'flop flop flop'