Jun 12, 2012

Bullets Over Tuesday

Just because. Just for scuzz. If you follow me on Twitter, some of these items may be repeats. Sue me.
  • Went out of my comfort zone and made something that I had never heard of much less made before on Monday night. Gia had a hankerin'* for steak, and a hankerin' for steak in a beurre rouge sauce in particular. I've got high school level French going on, so I knew that beurre = butter and rouge = red, but that's about all I knew, besides the hunk o' meat that is. Turns out it's a steak in a red wine/shallot reduction with butter. A LOT of butter. This is not something for the faint of heart. But it is oh-so-fucking-delicious. It ain't going on the regular weekly rotation, but maybe once a month or so... We shall see. 
The sauce was a creamy, dark pink and the meat was slightly above medium. Delish!
  •  I saw today that Katy Perry has a concert video coming out. My first reaction was that I couldn't care any less. Then I saw that it was in 3-D and I suddenly became more interested. I'm still not gonna see it, but I'm definitely...interested.
click for the jiggle
  •  We just finished this season of Mad Men. That show is freakin' amazing and I don't care if you agree or disagree with me. I just love it. Now we have a month or so until the final season of Breaking Bad begins. Or ends. Sniff. I don't think I could enjoy TV as much as the dramas that AMC and FX are producing. Amazing stuff.
  • Speaking of well-made television, I finally saw Season One of Game of Thrones a few weeks ago. Watched it over one weekend. I had just finished the first book in the series, so I immediately wanted to see what HBO did with it. It didn't disappoint. I'm reading Book Two right now, and I understand the second season has just ended. Excellent. I can't wait to watch it. More amazing stuff.
  • Speaking of unknown television, I recorded the first couple of episodes of the new A&E drama Longwire. It's about a lawman out of Wyoming. Other than that...I have no idea. But I dig shows about tough guy lawmen in cowboy hats (see Justified), so I'm willing to give it a go. Anyone watching?
  • My pee is gonna smell like asparagus tomorrow. I just know it. Too much information? Tough shit.
That's all I got. See ya!

*When you are in the mood for steak, you have to use the word "hanker". It's the law. 

10 comments:

Dave2 said...

Love Mad Men, but... the season finale was the very definition of "meh."

Verdant Earl said...

Agreed, but it would have been difficult to top the events of the previous two episodes. I liked how it showed the fallout from those episodes though. And the ambiguous look to the future. All in all, I was satisfied with it even if it didn't blow me away.

Avitable said...

I thought the season finale of Mad Men was fantastic - the motif of the open doors was excellent and it set up the new season nicely.

I wasn't able to get into Game of Thrones, but I'm going to give it another shot.

If you haven't already, I highly recommend Luther, a BBC show - it's amazing.

Verdant Earl said...

Yeah, having read some more about it today, I'm already thinking I liked it more than at first blush.

Having read the book directly before seeing Season One, I was amazed that they were able to capture all the (many) characters of Game of Thrones in the show, but they did. I would also imagine that it would be much more difficult to get into the show if you haven't already read the book(s).

Luther has been hanging around my Netflix Instant Queue for a while now. I plan on watching it this summer at some point.

Slyde said...

longwire just looked too much like justified for me. i gave it a pass.

Verdant Earl said...

I'm gonna watch the first two episodes. I'll let you know how it is.

marty mankins said...

That steak and asparagus looks really good.

Verdant Earl said...

It was. I'm gonna drop the recipe on my food blog soon.

sybil law said...

See, I use hanker for cheese, like School House Rock taught me.
I loved the Mad Men finale, too.
I've read the first Game of Thrones and need to get the second book. Then I'll go and watch all of season 1. Woohoo!
Katy Perry - ridiculous.
:)

Verdant Earl said...

Wow...very thorough. ;)