Jun 18, 2012

You're a handsome devil. What's your name?

Went searching for a old blog post of mine yesterday, and I realized I used to write sooo much more back in the day than I do now. Not just the frequency of my postings, but the actual content within each post. I had this whole process back then. I would keep a list of blog ideas on a virtual sticky note on my laptop. Anytime I saw something or heard something or thought of something during the day while I was working, I would jot down a note. The list was extensive at times. Then I would sit down about an hour before heading to bed and peruse the list for a blog post for that night. And I would just write. Without even really thinking about it.

My current process is a little different, to say the least. My sticky note of blog ideas is pretty much empty because I stopped updating it a year or so ago. I think about posting something and I realize that I don't have much on my mind. Then I throw up a Youtube video or something else quick just because I'm feeling guilty about letting this old blog die a quiet death.

I've read other bloggers complain about similar dry spells in the past. Sometimes they will even go so far as to proclaim a quantum shift in the blogging paradigm. Twitter and Facebook have made blogs obsolete, blah, blah, blah... I'm not sure I'm buying it. I think we, bloggers, tend to take our own personal attitude toward blogging and make some sort of  "it's not me, it's us" proclamation. As if it's the very idea of blogging that has changed rather than the individual blogger itself.

It might all be true, but I really have no way of knowing that. I'm just a lone blogger who rarely ventures outside of my own blogging circle. I have NO IDEA what is really happening in the greater blogosphere because my community is so small. I haven't updated my feed reader with any new blogs in this side of forever. Well, I'm constantly updating it with baseball stuff. But that's not what I meant. Personal blogs.

And yes...some people are blogging far less than they used to. Myself included. Shit happens. Then there are others who keep on keeping on.  Much respect and love to those cats.

I think I'm somewhere in the middle. I still enjoy the time I spend jotting down what's going on in my brain onto this here blog. And I am in a bit of a rut, but I don't think it's permanent. Gonna try to kick-start the inner daily blogger in me and see if I can get it going again. We shall see. I'm making no promises here.

But I'll be here. Hopefully bringing the suck a little bit more often. Hehehe.

10 comments:

sybil law said...

Bring on the suck, Earlsy.
I know how much you like it when I call you Earlsy.
I've been complete shit as far as blogging goes, recently, and yep - sometimes I feel bad for it. Then again, sometimes I don't. I do like keeping in touch with my own small circle, too, though.

Verdant Earl said...

Grrr...Earlsy. Yeah, you seem to be good at keeping in touch even if you haven't blogged in over 3 weeks (I'm watching). ;)

Heff said...

I just realized I could get SO MUCH MORE important shit done if I QUIT blogging, but more power to those still doing it !

Slyde said...

i am pretty much in the same place. Lately, posting more than once a week has been difficult. I started the year intending to post more than last year, but unless i start writing like a fucking fiend, i am no way going to reach that goal...

Verdant Earl said...

Heff - Well, blogging certainly shouldn't take precedent over the much more important shit. But I've always found time in the past to do it all.

Slyde - Setting goals for yourself with blogging is a tough one. Doesn't seem to work with me.

Unknown said...

Where's John Cusack? I was promised some Martin Blank, what gives?

I used to get giddy when I'd see my small little following number increase, but then it just became more people to get to know and frankly, I liked my little circle of peeps enough not invite any new kids to the lunch table.
Now I feel like the people who read me KNOW me and care a lil and that's enough for me.

The pressure of turning out a scheduled post, or to make sure I was entertaining was not what I was looking for when I got into blogging.

Dr Zibbs said...

I'll tell you that you have one of my favorite blogs. Just the right amount of posts and interesting topics. I know that Twitter and FB did help to drive down blog traffic but I also think it makes people less likely to comment. In my head there are still a lot of people reading every post but they just don't comment. Who knows.

Verdant Earl said...

Annabelle - I love that line from Grosse Pointe Blank. I use it almost weekly in my life.

Zibbs - Thank you! I hear you about the comments. I know I comment a whole lot less frequently on other blogs because I blow through everyone's posts on my feed reader.

savannah said...

sweet mary sunshine, sugar, i swear i thought i'd left a comment here! anyway, blogging? i blog when i feel like it these days. especially since the MITM writes there, too! i'm terrible about commenting or answering people who leave a comment at my place. xoxoxo

marty mankins said...

Glad to hear the suck (well, your version of the suck, which is much better than what others call suck) will continue on here.

I neglect mine some days when I really feel like I want to post something, but then get distracted by other stuff (some fun, some sucky - my version of sucky). Of course, I'm also working on a commercial blog project, and I've travled a lot recently, so between those two things and the day job I loathe, my time gets sucked up pretty quick.

And that's a bad suck, IMO.