Aug 12, 2009

Heavens

 19th Century engraving

It's been a hell of a week for viewing the night sky.

Last night we had one of the most amazing lightning displays I have ever witnessed. And tonight we get the Perseid meteor shower.


I've been out a few times tonight and the cloud cover hasn't been friendly toward us star-gazers.  I've heard that the best time to see some hot meteor action will be between 4AM and 5AM EST, so I'm hoping to wake up around then for a peek.

You gonna watch?

UPDATE - 12:39 AM EST - I was just outside for about 5 minutes.  The clouds have dissipated and it's a pretty clear night out.  I guess the main guns haven't fired yet, because I saw only a handful of meteors while I was out there.  Two or three of them, however, were really freakin' bright!  Looked like they were burning up in the atmosphere just above my head.  I'm definitely gonna try to make it outside every couple of hours tonight.  Hell, I wake up every 2 hours anyway.  Might as well take in the scenery.
___________________________________________________

Note: Remember to play the Bug-Eyed Trivia Challenge every day. Do we get to make a wish on all those "falling stars"?

8 comments:

Kaye Waller said...

We have a beautifully clear sky tonight, but there are so many old trees in our neighborhood, seeing the meteor shower is impossible. I tried though!

2abes said...

overcast skies again.....sucks

Suzi Q said...

Oh yeah the Perseid's, I totally forgot about that! (Thanks for the reminder!) My mom and dad and I used to camp out one night during the meteor showers on their acerage and watch all night. Now we sit in the hot tub and watch, it's a little more comfortable.

We had a pretty good lightning storm last night too...

Slyde said...

could you tell me about how these meteors remind you of baseball? please?

sybil law said...

I am so going to try and watch with my daughter. :)

hello haha narf said...

yep, damn cloudy here in the burgh. i couldn't see a thing. fuck, i can't even find the moon through the clouds we have going on. whaaaaa...

Verdant Earl said...

Steph - I didn't wake up at 4AM, but I heard it was overcast here at that time. Shame.

2abes - fer sure.

Paige - see? Americans and Canadians are basically the same! ;)

Slyde - well, both of them get a stupid fucking comment from you, so...

Sybil - awesome!

Becky - Waah is right! Fucking clouds!

Jennifer and Sandi said...

WOW COOL! Grab'n a beer and heading outside tonight!

- Jennifer