Aug 15, 2009

They were ever so sad


They were ever so happy, they were ever so sad
to grow old in a new world through good times and bad
all the parties and weddings, the ceilis and wakes
when New York was Irish, full of joys and heartbreaks


I remember a traditional that Tommy Makem and the Clancy Brothers used to perform.  I can't find a video of it, but it goes a little something like this:

Ahem ahem
Me mother's gone to Church
She told me not to play with you
Because you're in the dirt
It isn't because you're dirty
It isn't because you're clean
It's just because you've the whooping cough
And eat margarine.

________________________________________________________

Note: Remember to play the Bug-Eyed Trivia Challenge every day. And I spent all my money on whisky and beer.

No comments: