Oct 14, 2013

Day 14: [REC]³ Genesis

Can a once-prolific blogger who hasn't written 31 posts all year find it in his soul to review 31 previously unseen horror films in 31 days of October? Let's find out...
______________________________________________________________

I'm going to go on record here as stating that this is a bad fucking idea.

You see, I've seen [Rec], and I freaking loved it.  If you haven't seen it yet you should absolutely stop whatever you are doing right now, including breathing, and watch that film. It's awesome. It's so awesome that even the American remake of it, Quarantine, is awesome by association. But, sad to say, I haven't seen [Rec] 2 yet. I know, I KNOW!!! So yeah, I'm watching the third film in the series without having seen the second one. I kinda know what happens in the second film, but not totally. But I'm hoping that the "Genesis" tag means this is a prequel or something. We shall see. Like I said...this is a bad fucking idea.

I'm also a little wtf about the naming convention here. The film title is proper case, same with the second. But the third is all capitalized, and it uses superscript to denote the order of the film. I'm a little picky about my naming conventions for film series, people. So right away I'm on edge. Repeat after me...bad fucking idea.

[REC]3 starts out with a cute little gimmick. A introduction to Koldo and Clara via their wedding DVD that  even includes the DVD loading screen, which (I hate to admit) confused me for a second. It's late. But I thought it was a pretty interesting way to introduce us to the cast of characters. And the wedding is actually used as a plot device. We see a bandage on the groom's uncle's hand...like he was bitten or something. This is going to be one wacky wedding reception.

The wedding is being filmed by the groom's cousin, Adrián as well as the wedding photographer, Atún. The young cousin has been instructed to film the wedding in a cinema verite style, getting all the behind-the-scenes good stuff. And he finds it. Like his obviously infected uncle vomiting and acting creepy and/or drunk, and a team of scientists in haz-mat suits examining...well, I don't know. The ground? The uncle soon does a back flip from the balcony, bites his wife and we are off to the races, ladies and gentlemen, as a wave of bitey-biteys show up to get their bite on.

In a nod to just about everyone's issue with found-footage films, the groom can't believe his young cousin is filming this massacre. So he promptly wrestles the camera out of his hands and trashes it. A quick title card (22 minutes into the film!), and the film then transitions to traditional cinematography. There are still some security camera and green-hued night-vision shots, but it's mostly traditional. Good job, all around.

*** Warning...here be some mild spoilers ***

So what's animating these, dare I say it, zombies? The first film led us to believe it was some kind of viral outbreak. But here we find that they can't tread on sanctified ground and they are burned by holy water. So it looks like the devil made them do it. I kinda knew that from reading about the second film, but this confirms it.

And I now see where some of the criticism of this film comes from. Unlike the first film (and the second from what I understand), this one is quite a bit more light-hearted and comic. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Return of the Living Dead managed it just fine, and that was way over-the-top. And this film doesn't nearly go into black comedy as much as that film did.

There's a running gag with a children's performer named SpongeJohn (it's a copyright thing), and characters dress up in medieval armor to fight the demonic horde. Fun stuff, in my opinion. I dig a horror film that doesn't take itself so seriously. All in all, I had a good time with this one. Sure, there was some silly stuff in there, but as it turned out it wasn't such a bad fucking idea after all.

Oh...and the "Genesis" tag didn't mean that it was a prequel. It's a parallel story. So they got me there.

PS - Available on Netflix and Amazon Prime Instant.

Verdant Dude rating: 3.5 out of 5 pumpkins

2 comments:

Poppy said...

LALALLALALALALALA NOT LISTENING! (I haven't watched it quite yet, but good to know it got a 3.5!)

Verdant Earl said...

Poppy - THE DEVIL MADE THEM DO IT!!!