Mar 3, 2009

The contradiction


I hate snow.

But I love to take a long (OK...short) walk in a light snowfall in the early evening or early morning. It's strikingly beautiful. Especially on the harbor by the house.

I hate snow.

But I love shoveling it. Well, love might be a bit strong. I really don't mind it though. It's very comforting. There is really nothing in my life that I do as methodically and clear headed as shovelling snow. I guess that's how it is for most people with exercise, but I don't really do that. Shoveling snow is as close as I get to it.

I hate snow.

But my clients were off because of the snow storm yesterday, so I got to lay in bed all day watching TV and and napping. In between sessions of shoveling snow, of course.

I hate snow.

Except when I like it, of course.

________________________________________________________

Note: Remember to play the Bug-Eyed Trivia Challenge every day. All the mixed-up kids are doing it.

18 comments:

Michelle said...

Green man this post is one of your best!!

It tells me a lot about you. Gia is a lucky lady!!!

But, perhaps you should exercise more??

I'm just saying!!

And I get your love/hate relationship with snow.

hello haha narf said...

i love snow (except when i hate it...fortunately i rarely hate it any more thanks to my huge and heavy suv).

this was a really well done post. and i am loving the photo. did you take it?

Candy's daily Dandy said...

Excellent post! I gotta tell you-I feel the same way.

Kate said...

Here here!
Who knew you were so poetic?
:) How nice you got to have a TV and napping day, too.

Mrs. Hall said...

yeah, there is something very zen about shoveling. I mean, it is a job that has a beginning, middle and end. And you know when you've done a good job.

but, it is effing hard work most of the time. and you have to push through the urge to quit when it is 'good enough'.

either way, i vow never to buy a snowblower.

ever.

;)

Slyde said...

"But my clients were off because of the snow storm yesterday, so I got to lay in bed all day watching TV and and napping"


and how the fuck is that different from ANY day for you?

Verdant Earl said...

Michelle - Perhaps I should.

Becky - Naw...I nicked it. :)

Candy - birds of a feather and all that crap.

Kate - Poetic? Nah!

Holly - Zen was the word I was looking for yesterday. Damn!

Slyde - Well, I got to sleep in bed yesterday instead of working in bed. BIG difference.

Jennifer and Sandi said...

Yep, I love-hate the snow as well. My BF does all the shoveling around here. I "THINK" about shoveling a lot. Then I remember there must be much more important things to do inside the nice warm house. Like sleeping!

Happy Tuesday!
- Jennifer

Dr Zibbs said...

That's my relationship with fruit.

Verdant Earl said...

Jenn - I always vote for sleeping.

Zibbs - Fruit is such an all-encompassing term. I heart apples, but I don't like bananas. Grapes, yes. Papaya, no. See?

i am the diva said...

please come and shovel my snow.

Verdant Earl said...

Diva - I meant to include the fact that I enjoy shoveling my OWN snow. All other offers will be declined, however. Sorry.

Bruce Johnson said...

Such is the Ying and Yang of life.....loving and hating snow.....

Faiqa said...

Hmmm. I have heard of this thing, "snow."

Verdant Earl said...

Bruce - ah yes.

Faiqa - I wish 50 degree temperatures on you woman. Fah!

dai said...

I hate yankees too, but they come every year, a lot like snow.

Verdant Earl said...

Dai - Heya! Northerners or the baseball team?

marty mankins said...

I used to hate snow until I started making videos about it. But then again, if I got as much snow as you did, I think the number of videos I'd have to make to keep me liking it would get old.

So in some form, I still hate snow.