Mar 9, 2009

Success!!!

As evidenced by my fuzzy head and sleepy body on Sunday, the bacon-infused madness from Saturday night was a success!

Everyone who tried one of my special cocktails at the party absolutely loved them. Or they lied to my face about it. Nah! That can't be it.

I made Old Fashioneds all night long for whomever wanted them. Instead of simple syrup or sugar, the PDT recipe calls for Grade B maple syrup. So that's what we used. Gia found some at a Whole Foods Market in Manhasset. I had heard you could only get Grade B maple syrup in Vermont, but they carried it.

There were big differences between the infused Rye and the infused Bourbon. Both came out a bit sweeter (especially the Rye) than I anticipated. Maybe it had to do with the bacon I used. It was hickory smoked twice and cured with maple sugar. That might have been the reason it turned sweeter. The Bourbon had a much more smoky, bacon flavor while the Rye just became ultra-smooth and sweet.

So what was the verdict? Which did I enjoy more?

Well, I did like the Bourbon and I think it tasted very similar to PDT's recipe. But I really loved the Old Fashioned made with the Rye. So smooth and wonderfully sweet. Rye is generally a bit more bitter and drier than Bourbon, but something occurred when I infused it with the bacon to really smooth it out. I really loved it. I wasn't alone. Just about everyone who tried both loved the Rye just as much, if not more so, than the Bourbon. If anyone out there is thinking of trying this, I would highly recommend both. But if you are really looking for that smoky, bacon flavor then I would go with the Bourbon.

I'm sure there are other cocktails that would work with these as well. I would love to try a Manhattan with the bacon-infused Rye. I wonder if that would work.

Anyway, like I said...it was a success! Yay me!

PS - New beer review over at the Beer-Eyed Blog. Checkitout!

___________________________________________________

Note: Remember to play the Bug-Eyed Trivia Challenge every day. All the hungover kids are doing it.

13 comments:

Barlinnie said...

Bacon and bourbon.. on paper it sounds like an odd match. It obviously isn't though, well done for creating a great drink.

Verdant Earl said...

Jimmy - wish I could take the credit for it. Those kids over at PDT came up with it. 'Twas delish though.

Michelle said...

Wow sounds amazing!!

The only way I'd ever get to try these drinks is if I go to PDT so perhaps someday I will!!!

HAPPY MONDAY!!!

Verdant Earl said...

Michelle - I highly recommend PDT. It's my favorite of the new speakeasy-ish joints in NYC. A very unique experience.

Avitable said...

I think I would like to try making a bacon milkshake.

savannah said...

on my list for the next trip up north, sugar! ;) xoxox

Verdant Earl said...

Avitable - I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.

Savannah - You've got bacon, right? You've got bourbon, right? So why wait? You can do it at home, and it's not that difficult. Hell, I did it. ;)

Jennifer and Sandi said...

I can't drink hard liquor. You know....I'd end up huggin the porcelain god. I have to stick with my Bud Light!!

Sounds like a good drink tho!

Happy Monday!

Candy's daily Dandy said...

Oh my that sounds fantastic! But a cocktail?? I thought you were serving burbon infused bacon. See where my head went-my bad.

Anyway, could this be a second career for you??

Verdant Earl said...

Jenn - if you are going with light beer, then Bud is my choice as well. FYI - I never go with light beer. ;)

Candy - Ha! When you left a comment about bourbon-infused bacon on the last point, I thought you just made a mistake. Now I see that you just didn't get it. Ha! And I've always been a bartender at heart. :)

Slyde said...

mmmm, bourbon infused bacon... yumm......

Heff said...

What can I say ? If that shit tasted half as awesome as it seems like it would, it had to be some great stuff.

Verdant Earl said...

Slyde - dick.

Heff - it was all that and a bag of whatever.