Sep 22, 2010

The Good Stuff

So Gia came home the other day with a surprise for me.

She scored some really good stuff. ::wink:: South of the border stuff, if ya know what I mean. ::nudge:: Real primo stuff...pure. From Mexico. ::nod::

Wow...I'm so damn square I can't even pull off an easy drug joke.



That's some Mexican Coke right there, as in the soda. And instead of that high fructose corn syrup that's used in the recipe here in the States, it's made with pure cane sugar. And it's becoming more and more popular north of the border because of it.

I don't know about you, but high fructose corn syrup kinda freaks me out. I've mentioned this to Gia in the past and she has kept her eye out for Mexican Coke. I'm not sure my taste buds are discerning enough to tell you that it is definitively better. It does taste different. But just knowing the ingredients, and lack thereof, makes me think it tastes better.

That's good enough for me.

You ever score some sweet Mexican Coke?
___________________________________________________
Note: Remember to play the Badgerdaddy Trivia Challenge every day. Is it still hip to be square?

12 comments:

Poppy said...

No, but I saw some on the shelf of a high-end grocery store. I think it was Wegman's, but I think it was actually a different store when I was on vacation... and I don't remember which.

I'm surprised it doesn't taste different. Don't know why, just am.

Shania said...

I've been seeing Mt. Dew and Pepsi in the old style boxes advertising that they're made "the old fashioned way, with pure cane sugar".

But the mexican-south-of-the-border joke thing doesn't work nearly as well with pepsi.

Verdant Earl said...

Poppy - It probably does taste different. I haven't really done a side by side comparison yet, and the old taste buds just ain't what they used to be.

Shania - I've heard that too, but I haven't seen them yet. I know a guy who works for Pepsi and he told me the stores that sell them. Maybe I'll check them out.

Heff said...

OMG ! The Holy Grail of Coke !!!

More importantly than the sweetner, IT'S IN GLASS BOTTLES !!!

Slyde said...

i would love to try one of those...

p.s. ive gone 2 days now without insulting you... i hope you noticed.

Verdant Earl said...

Heff - Yeah, I do love the look and feel of the old glass bottles.

Slyde - I hope you don't mind if I don't reciprocate the kindness. I don't have anything mean to say right now, but give me some time...

sybil law said...

Just that one time, in Tijuana...

Verdant Earl said...

Sybil - Donkey show? ;)

Ren said...

I'm sure it comes as no surprise that here in Texas the Mexican Coke is readily available. I definitely prefer it, but now that I really only drink diet soda, I never actually have it. I occasionally have a flash of "they should have this for diet soda" and then realize the absurdity of my thought. :-)

Verdant Earl said...

Ren - Ha! I was thinking the same thing the other night.

marty mankins said...

I've had some Mexican Coke before. It's in all of the stores here in Utah. About $1.00 a bottle, but worth it due to the use of real sugar.

We also have the Pepsi Throwback and I had the rare chance to try the Dr Pepper with real sugar, which I love.

Kevin Spencer said...

I think it all boils down to the taste with the different sweeteners. I don't really think pure cane sugar is any better for you in the calorie department than high fructose corn syrup. But hfcs is the boogeyman these days in seems. Oh well, what do I know, I love diet coke ;-)