Sep 7, 2010

Seatbelt

Note: I realize I already messed up my scheduled Monday posts that I committed to last week, but c'mon...yesterday was Labor Day. Gimme a break! The madness will begin starting next Monday. - Earl

Have you ever just suddenly and randomly changed one of your habits...a good habit...for no real reason whatsoever?

It's recently happened with me with seatbelts in the car.

I have no idea why, but recently I've been forgetting to secure my seatbelt before popping the car into Drive and vroom-vrooming. It doesn't last long. Usually by the time I get from our parking spot down by the harbor to the top of the hill where the street is, the car is yelling at me to fasten my belt. And I do. I'm not scooting around the Long Island Expressway without my seatbelt fastened or anything, so relax.

But it's just weird that I even need to be reminded. For well over 20 years now, my first action in the car after I start it is to fasten my belt. Always. It's one of those ingrained habits that I thought would never ever change. But here it is. I get in the car and I play with the radio and I drive away from the house, and THEN I need to be reminded by the car to be safe.

I just can't wrap my brain around why this has happened all of a sudden.

___________________________________________________
Note: Remember to play the Badgerdaddy Trivia Challenge every day. Is this what getting old is all about?

11 comments:

Mrs. Hall said...

you know how couples always choose a side in bed, like how one sleeps on the left side, etc. well, for some reason we handed chosen sides, for almost nine years. then last month I chose the right side.

weird.

;)

Verdant Earl said...

Holly - Was it while Mr. Hall was away for a little while? That might make a little sense.

Slyde said...

im the opposite.. i have never been able to remember to put on a seatbelt. i try to make it a habit, but 9 out of 10 times, i forget to wear it.

you can blame my parents for not ingraining it in me..

Verdant Earl said...

Slyde - I think it was Driver's Ed class in high school for me. Those pictures of kids being thrown through windshields in accidents because they didn't buckle up. That's some mean shit right there.

sybil law said...

I can't STAND when an ingrained habit goes awry for no reason at all! I can't even think of one specifically right now, but I know exactly what you mean!

white rabbit said...

It's an old and forgetful thing....

Or at least something is.

I forget what.

wv: tunuted - as in I got really tunuted last night and - erm - forgopt stuff.

Verdant Earl said...

Sybil - Maybe it's as simple as forgetting something you know you have done or not done. Huh?

Wabbit - I did get tunuted over the weekend. But I don't think this has anything to do with that.

Water Logged Canine said...

Unfortunately, I think this is one of my habits that has rubbed off on you. In fact, the interesting part of this post is that when I've been with you and forgotten, you've gotten perturbed. Like...what's good enough for the goose is good enough for Amanda...and WHO'S GONNA LOVE YOU NOW?!?!

That is why they created the "dinger-bell-thingy!" It reminds those of us who forget what were supposed to do, while we're supposed to be doing it. Case in point, I have coined the term, "Internesia" which is going to google something and forgetting what it is you wanted to google in the time it takes the browser to open. The sad part is that I googled "Internesia" and that term doesn't even belong to me...someone smarter thought of it first. But I swear that it came to me naturally, it's just that natural ideas don't guarantee unique ideas.

Faiqa said...

That happens to me with water. I drink about a gallon a day... and then every few months, I'll go an entire day on nothing but Diet Coke. I have no idea why.

Verdant Earl said...

Doggie - Best. Comment. Ever!

Faiqa - I wish I went even a few weeks drinking that much water a day. Does beer count?

Mrs. Hall said...

actually, i talked to Mr. Hall about it. and he said it was like a year ago he chose. and i've just now noticed things. I totally believe him because he never lies.


OH MY DEAR GOD AM I SPACE CASE OR WHAT?

which is fine. I am still smart. I have a master's degree and everything.

geeaaaww.

btw. some damn busy not able to comment but still reading every day. !!!