Aug 7, 2006

Earl on Mondays

Taking a tip from Jack Black and the film High Fidelity, I wanted to start a tradition here that I may or may not observe in the future. A little Top 5 of Monday morning songs that I am enjoying, along with the lyrics to one of said tunes.

No rhyme or reason to today's selection, just started off a little mellow before kickin' it in. Then I brought it back down again...there are rules to making a great mix tape. I don't follow 'em, but there are rules.

In no particular order:

Top 5 Monday morning songs
1. "Badfish" by Sublime
2. "After the Gold Rush" by Neil Young
3. "Havin' a Good Time" by One Groovy Coconut
4. "Hey Bartender" by (Hed) PE
5. "Love in a Library" by Jimmy Buffett (always gonna include Bubba)

"Badfish" by Sublime

When you grab a hold of me Tell
me that I'll never be set free
I'm a parasite,
creep and crawl I step into the night.
Two pints of booze
Tell me are you a badfish too? Are you a badfish too?
Ain't got no money to spend
I know the night will never end
Lord knows I'm weak
Won't somebody get me off of this reef

Baby your a big blue whale
Grab the reef when all duck diving fails
I swim but wish I never learned
The water's too polluted with germs
I dive deep when it's ten feet overhead
Grab the reef underneath my bed
Ain't got no quarrels with god Ain't got no time to grow old
Lord knows I'm weak
Won't somebody get me off of this reef

Ain't got no quarrels with God Ain't got no time to grow old
Lord knows I'm weak
Won't somebody get me off of this reef

6 comments:

Kat said...

God I love Neil Young! Don't think I've ever listened to Sublime. I'm gonna google them right now...

ps...are you ever going to show any of the comments I left when I needed your permission first?

Verdant Earl said...

Nope, because I never saw them. I didn't supply an email address to send them to, so all is lost, unfortunately.

Damn!

Verdant Earl said...

Nevermind...figured out how to do it. Had to enable moderating again, publish the comments, then disable the moderating. Phew! I need a beer.

Verdant Earl said...

Sublime is (was) awesome. Unfortunately their lead dude died a few years back and they are no more.

They were an ultra-cool, 3rd generation ska/rock band from southern California. Although you may not recognize the band's name, they had pretty big hits with the following:

Santeria
Wrong Way
Date Rape (not a pro-date rape song)
What I Got - probably their biggest hit.

Let the lovin', let the lovin' come back to me...

Anonymous said...

ah, i love me some sublime. In 97 i think i was a tad obsessed with them. That summer was the summer of Sublime in my car tape deck....

elizabeth said...

I waiting for a mixed tape with the Beautiful South. I love the Beautiful South.
(Song for Whoever, A Little Time)