Aug 23, 2006

None for me, thanks!

I hope my last post didn't give you the feeling that I don't love little Riley or that I'm a bad uncle. The opposite is true for both those statements.

She's the daughter that I will never have. I say that with absolute certainty. I don't want kids of my own and I don't believe I ever will want them. One of the first things that shiny new lady love said to me on our first date was that she never wants to have kids, and was I okay with that.

Okay with that? I almost proposed on the spot. Well, except neither of us believes in the whole marriage thing, but you get my drift. Marriage...kids...sorry. Great for some, just not me.

So, in honor of my beloved neice I am posting the lyrics to one of my favorite Jimmy Buffett songs which he wrote about his youngest daughter. It always reminds me of Riley Grace. Enjoy!

Delaney Talks To Statues
Jimmy Buffett, Mac McAnally, Amy Lee

Delaney talks to statues
As she dances 'round the pool
She chases cats through roman ruins
And stomps on big toadstools
She speaks a language all her own
That I cannot discover
But she knows I love her so
When I tuck her 'neath the covers

Father, daughter
Down by the water
Shells sink, dreams float
Life's good on our boat

Delaney draws me pictures
She finger paints the sand
We chase the dogs and hop like frogs
Then I do my bad handstand
She's growing up too fast for me
And asking lots of questions
Some I know the answers to
And some I'm looking for suggestions

Father, daughter
Born by the water
Surf's up, sun's down
Life in a beach town

And some of the things I've seen
Maybe she won't have to see
But there's a lot I want to pass along
That was handed down to me

Delaney talks to statues
As she dances 'round the pool
She chases cats through Roman ruins
And stomps on big toadstools
She speaks a language all her own
Just a little like her mother
And she knows I love her so
When I tuck her 'neath the covers

Father, daughter
Down by the water
Shells sink, dreams float
Life's good on our boat

9 comments:

Kat said...

Ahhh. Noone thinks you're a bad Uncle. I hope you save this post. Put it in an envelope and let her read it when she's much older. People should always know they are so adored. What a lucky little girl :o)

Anonymous said...

she's not SO lucky. You all havent seen Earl dressed up as gandalf (yet!).

Verdant Earl said...

It wasn't Gandalf.

It was some un-named wizard who had no relation whatsoever to Harry Potter or LotR. Okay?

Verdant Earl said...

Oh yeah, weeeeee...Thursday!!!!!!

Kat said...

okay. sheesh. You'd think you had hives on your ass or something.

elizabeth said...

Don't worry Earl - I have a secret Harry Potter shrine in the storage space beneath my stairs - no shit.

Um - ya. (scared of marriage, huh? Typical boy) You'd think I'd have more reason to be... hopeless romantic I suppose. Plus I look fantastic in a wedding dress. LOL. But IF I ever do that again it will be on a beach or under a waterfall or some such shit. I ramble...

Verdant Earl said...

Not scared of marriage. Just don't think that it works the way it should in this day and age. Don't know why that is, but just seems to be the case.

I actually am a hopeless romantic, but I think you can have all that w/o the slip of paper and the ok of your church. Just my opinion.

elizabeth said...

I was thinking more about the civil benefits. Say you are in a car accident - only immediate family and all that. Also the way Canada works is it allocates survivor benefits with respect to pensions and all that stuff.

elizabeth said...

...plus all your family and friends getting together to celebrate your love and commitment to eachother... kind of special. But then - that's just my opinion (so that makes it the RIGHT ONE - hahaha)