Jan 26, 2012

Odd Winter

I'm totally going to ruin it with this post, but we've had just about the best Winter in recent memory so far. Weather-wise, that is. And by "best", I mean warmer than usual with no snow.

In fact, we had our first snowstorm of the year over this past weekend. A convenient little storm that began overnight on Friday and into early Saturday afternoon. All that meant to me was staying home with my woman and our recuperating cat (Wolowitiz is doing much better now, thanks), and drinking a whole mess of bourbon. Slept in Saturday morning and then went out to shovel about 4 inches of some dry powder.  It was glorious. The easiest snow removal day in memory.

I don't know why I even bothered, though. The weather forecast was for rain and 50 degrees on Monday, which is exactly what happened. By the end of the day, just about all the snow from the weekend was a memory.

I've been actually appreciating the warm weather even more than the lack of snow, even though those obviously go hand-in-hand. Went out to get the mail today in a t-shirt and it felt like around 60.  I'm sure it was colder, but it really didn't feel that way.

So January is almost over, and February is looming.  Normally a month when we get slammed with snow and cold weather.

But I'm hoping that this trend continues.  Right through the Winter and into Spring. 

A mild Winter is just what my soul needed.


17 comments:

Avitable said...

Here in Florida, I'm hoping for a few days down here that go down to the 40s, because it's already feeling like late spring.

Kaye Waller said...

You've voiced it perfectly, Jailhouse Hopkins. Life itself has been like a long, difficult winter for a lot of people--this weather kind of makes me want to believe that it's a sign of better times ahead.

Glad the kitteh is doing better!

RW said...

I'm enjoying the lack of snow too. My MINI thinks it is a hockey puck in the snow, and I've been traveling much more safely this month than is usual.

Heff said...

All I've got to say is, I'm gonna ENJOY my natural gas bill this month !

hello haha narf said...

i haven't had use of my suv all winter and have been praying for no snow. god clearly listens. and loves me.

but now that i will have my suv back next week, look out because i might just start praying for snow. i love winter. and i am pretty sure god still loves me.

Slyde said...

wait a minute....!

how were you able to tell that the snow was only 4 inches deep?


ooooooh, NOW i get it.....!

Verdant Earl said...

Avitable - but isn't having no Winter the reason one moves to Florida?

SK - That's Jailhouse "Legs" Hopkins to you! ;)

RW - Yeah, we have one of those that hates the snow too.

Heff - I heard dat!

Becky - No offense to you and your God, but I hope he/she/it doesn't answer those prayers for snow. Or he/she/it answers "no".

Slyde - Shrinkage!

sybil law said...

Ssssshhhhhh! I want snow! We haven't even gotten 4 inches of the shit here, but we HAVE had some dangerous freezing rain. It's bullshit! I want snow! It can stay mild up there - I need some snow HERE.
(So glad Wolowitz is better!)

Bruce Johnson said...

The only problem here is, that if global warming is the cause, you can expect the oceans to rise and you will be leaving knee deep in beach front property in the very near future.

I live in Arizona, trust me, the warm weather gets boring after a while.

Verdant Earl said...

Sybil - Snow is pretty on Christmas. After that...not so much.

Bruce - We already live on the water. At high tide, the harbor level is about 12 feet below our back door. So yeah...there is that worry.

marty mankins said...

While I don't mind me some snow, I'll take this "less snow than last year" winter.

Poppy said...

I have truly enjoyed this warm weather. I wouldn't mind keeping it. :) I want my hat back, though. :)

Kate said...

It sure has been an easy winter on the back this year in Maine! No complaints from me, but I do feel bad for the ski resorts.

Kate said...

Also - glad to hear Wolowitiz is feeling better. Did the vet prescribe the Prescription Hill "CD" cat food? Pricey cat food, but it's worth it.

Verdant Earl said...

Kate - Yeah, that's the stuff. Bought a case of the canned food (which he hates) and a super big bag of the dry food. $100 bucks. So yeah...pricey.

LegalMist said...

So, what you're saying is, yay for global warming? ;D

Verdant Earl said...

LM - Right now? Sure...I support it. ;)