Jun 22, 2007

Mermaids, Montauk and Mayhem

Just a couple of things on this wonderful Summer (yes...it's finally truly Summer as of yesterday) day.


Gia and I are headed to Coney Island tomorrow to check out the 25th Annual Mermaid Parade. It's a chance for folks to get their freak-on with their, uh, aquatic side. I guess.

I'm going for the hotties dressed up like Ariel. Er, damn! Forgot that Gia reads this shit. Oh well.

The parade itself is an homage to a long-forgotten Mardi Gras celebration that occurred in Coney Island from 1903-1954. Who knew? After the parade, we are going to wander over to the Mermaid Parade Ball where there will be a host of interesting music and burlesque acts. Sounds like a blast.

We are spending the night in NYC where we may check out the NYC Pride Parade on Sunday afternoon. Because we don't have enough wacky gay stories in our life right now.

We don't have much going on next weekend besides the potential mayhem of a summer party at a friend's house. The mayhem is only potential at this point, but my buddy does keep a ridiculous stock of great booze at his place...so it's out there.

Then we are headed to Montauk for the 4th of July. Well, actually the 5th. We are going to spend the 4th at home where we have a great view of an incredible Grucci fireworks display that evening. Then to Montauk for 3 days with a whole shitload of my family and assorted friends.

If you have never been to Montauk, lemme 'splain. It's this cool, little surfer village on the extreme East End of Long Island. None (or very little) of the attitude that permeates the Hamptons, which we have to unfortunately drive through to get there. Cool restaurants and breakfast joints (my favorite) and some low-key to wacky nightlife thrown in to boot. But really, you go for the beaches, the surf and the Sun. I'll be packing my SPF 9000 for the trip.

White boy burns, yo!

6 comments:

madge said...

I want to go where the people are, I wanna see, wanna see 'em dancing...

Verdant Earl said...

It was really fun, but waaaay too crowded for my liking.

I guess I should have known it would be, but we weren't thinking. Still great fun, though. I'll post some pics tomorrow or so.

Slyde said...

sun, beaches and surf?

You hate the sand, you hate the sun, and you dont surf!

Verdant Earl said...

I don't hate the sun.

It hates me.

Mermaid Melanie said...

Mermaids are the coolest. I seem to be in a mermaid phase right now. HA! maybe I was there? :wink:

someday I will come to NY and bug both you guys. I have a cousin in Brooklyn, and plan to go and see him this fall. You up for meeting a cali mermaid?

Gledwood said...

MERMAID parade..? never heard of that one!