Jun 29, 2007

Unexplainable

I can't figure it out.

I hate the NBA. HATE IT!

The season is too long. The playoffs are waaaay too long. The games are boring. The players are selfish. It's just no fun anymore.

And yet, last night, I watched the NBA draft and it fascinated me completely. The trades, the trade rumors, the team overhauls. I loved it! I even spent a good hour this morning reading all about it on the Internet. And I'm actually excited about the product that the NY Knicks are going to put on the floor next year. Assuming Zach Randolph stays out of trouble, and that's a big stretch.

I really used to love the NBA. Not as much as NCAA basketball, but it was a natural extension of the college game for me. Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, the Bad Boys of Detroit, Bernie and Ernie at the Garden, Dominique flying way above the rim in Atlanta...all that shit. It was great!

Now, the Knicks, Lakers and Celtics are a running joke. Kobe claims he is going to sit out a year if LA doesn't trade him. Isiah Thomas (despite his fairly good draft yesterday) continues to make awful trade after awful trade. And Danny Ainge...geesh! What the hell is that guy doing to the once glorious Celtics? The #5 pick, Delonte West and Wally Szczerbiak (try spell-checking that) for Ray Allen? A 32-year old shooter with bad ankles who doesn't play defense? I don't get it.

Anyway...just venting.

8 comments:

Slyde said...

tell me again HOW MUCH TIME you spent yesterday afternoon watching the NBA draft? and tell me again that you work for a living?

im sorry... im just gonna keep harping on that until i pop a brain embelysm.

Seals said...

I feel the same way. I flatout stopped watching the NBA once all my guys retired.

It's just not interesting to me at all. I'll probably never follow it again.

Verdant Earl said...

Slyde - The draft was last night, jackass.

ajooja- I'm sure this year's draft was just a bump on memory road for me. I'm sure I won't watch next year either.

Angry Empanada said...

i know nothing of what you speak of.

football. speak football damnit.

Mermaid Melanie said...

I think the three major (baseball, basketball, and football) televised professional sports have become one tale after another of spoiled overpaid male ego's desires and misdemeanors.

Thank god I have a child, and can watch cartoons all day and not feel guilty for abandoning the godless sports arena.

Verdant Earl said...

Yas - love me some football.

Mel - um, wow.

Mermaid Melanie said...

dont mind me. I haven't had any action in a while. ;-)

madge said...

I used to love the NBA too (late 80's-mid 90's).
I don't watch anymore.
I didn't know Danny Ainge was involved with the Celtics these days. I hate him!

And anyone ever affiliated with Utah.

UGH.