Oct 19, 2006

What did I see? Where have I been?

It's now Week 2 of the famous Earl vs. Chest Cold battle. Thus far Chest Cold is kicking my ass, but I hope to make a strong recovery in the fourth quarter.

So a few weeks ago I was in the midst of a car ride with my lady love (shiny!) when I popped in some music of my own that I had brought with me. We usually listen to her wonderfully eclectic selection o' tunes that she keeps on her iPod, but we were heading into the city so I decided to bring some CDs. Change of pace type shit.

Turns out we both love "Quadrophenia" by The Who. I mean, really love it! This is an album that I have listened to more times in my life than I have masturbated. Well...um, maybe not that much, but a whole lot.

I have gone through a number of copies of it. I (meaning my older brother) had the original album when I was real young. I then remember buying at least two copies on cassette...as I kept wearing them out. Then, when CDs hit, it was one of the first that I bought. I also bought some CD by The Kentucky Headhunters and "Attack of the Killer B's" by Anthrax on that trip to the store, so there is no accounting for taste. I then lost those CDs on vacation somewhere and had to re-purchase them at some point years later. I've spent some dough on "Quadrophenia", kids.

Oooh...oooh. I even went to see The Who at Madison Square Garden when they played the whole album on their anniversary/retirement/comeback tour a few years back. Phil Daniels (the actor who starred in the film version of the album) was even on hand to narrate the show. And Billy Idol was there to play Ace Face and sing "Bellboy". Awesome!

Anyway, for some reason this album above all the other albums by The Who really made an impression on me. I guess because I became a fan of it in my early teens and I was real uncomfortable with myself back then. I still am, to a certain degree. But Pete's lyrics really hit home as he was writing about the same kind of things that we all go through now and again...especially in our teen years.

I also like the arrangement of the songs with Pete and Roger going back and forth as the different voices inside our narrator's head. It's just a perfect album. Here are the lyrics to one of my favorite songs on it. Roger does most of the singing with Pete chiming in a few times. Great stuff.

Enjoy!

Sea and Sand
by Pete Townshend

Here by the sea and sand
Nothing ever goes as planned,
I just couldn't face going home
It was just a drag on my own.
They finally threw me out
My mother got drunk on stout,
My dad couldn't stand on two feet,
As he lectured about morality.
Now I guess the families complete,
With me hanging round on the street
Or here on the beach.

The girl I love
Is a perfect dresser,
Wears every fashion
Gets it to the tee.
Heavens above,
I got to match her
She knows the style
She wants her man to be
Leave it to me.

My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked
Maybe a touch of seersucker with an open neck
I ride a GS scooter with my hair cut neat
I wear my wartime coat in the wind and sleet.

I see her dance
Across the ballroom
UV light making stars shine
On her smile.
I am the face,
She has to know me,
I'm dressed up better than anyone
Within a mile.

So how come the other tickets look much better?
Without a penny to spend they dress to the letter.
How come the girls come on oh so cool
Yet when you meet 'em, every one's a fool.

Come sleep on the beach
Keep within my reach
I just want to die with you here
I'm feeling so high when you're near.
I'm wet and I'm cold
But thank God I ain't old
Why didn't I ever say what I mean?
I should have split home at fifteen
There's a story that the grass is so green,
What did I see?
Where have I been?

Nothing is planned, by the sea and the sand!

11 comments:

Knitty Yas said...

Every time you say (shiny!) i picture some little girl with shirley temple curls, a balloon in one hand and a strawberry ice cream cone in the other squealin and pointing at something blaringly cute. lol

not saying that your a little girl or anything like that. :)

just an FYI Pete Townsend has a blog on here somewhere... on blogger. I found it once. You can talk to him through it. He was posting chapters of his book. Really good stuff. When i get home i will see if i still have thelink. k? lol

ps you and me be fightin the same war pal. take anything with huge doses of gyaifenicen. (sp?)

Verdant Earl said...

I just like the word "shiny". And when I first introduced her to these pages she was my "shiny new lady love".

I'm gradually dropping off descriptors, but I still like "shiny". It's also a "Firefly"/"Serenity" thing.

Hey! Is your new icon drawn by J. O'Barr? I love it!

Verdant Earl said...

Nevermind...saw that it wasn't him. Still...nice!

Anonymous said...

wow.. it lookes like J obarr to me too

Verdant Earl said...

See...slyde knows.

Knitty Yas said...

ooohhh i used to own some comics by J o'barr. but no. its the new Anita Blake comic based on taudry violent outstandingly written Anita Blake series (novels) by Laurell K Hamilton. the pic you see is art by Brett Booth... another outstanding comic artist. :p *drools* you should see the hot ass incentive cover by Greg Horn. Oh my god i am a complete nerd. someone kill me now.

sticks her finger in Slydes eye know it all. lol jk.

Anonymous said...

Chest cold is kicking your ass?

Oh Earl...you pussy. ;)

Steve~

elizabeth said...

Oh did I hate being a teenager. I really really really hated being a teenager. I feel so sorry for my kids having to go through all that teen angst one day.

Kat said...

I used to listen to my dad's vinyl box set when i was a teen. I loved being a teenager. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Verdant Earl said...

Teenagers rule!

Especially the cheerleaders :)

Anonymous said...

ouch! I'm still smarting from that finger in my eye, yas!