- The Way of the Gun - FINALLY available to the Internets! No, it's not high art. But it is a whole mess o' fun. Dig as Benicio del Toro and Ryan Phillipe fuck some shit up as a modern-day Butch and Sundance. Hell, just watch it for the first 5 minutes of the film which features a potty-mouthed Sarah Silverman. It's...glorious.
- Calvin Marshall - I spoke about this one last week on our radio show that I'm sure you are all listening to each week. Ahem. It's a small film, the kind that studios don't seem to make all that often anymore. Sure, baseball is the background to the story, but it's more about small towns and growing up and dealing with life. Great acting all around in this little gem.
- Marwencol - I actually haven't watched this one yet, but it's in my queue, raring to go. It's a documentary about a man who was left brain damaged after a savage beating who communicates through elaborate dioramas he builds of a fictional town called Marwencol. From just about every review I've read, this one is supposed to be awesome.
- Torchwood - This one is a British television series...a spin-off of Doctor Who, actually. But much more sophisticated and adult-themed than it's predecessor. Just as much fun, though. The first three series (seasons) are available on Netflix right now, and the fourth series should be available this Summer as it airs new on Starz Play each week. I've written about this show before, and it's one of my all-time favorites. You don't need to be a fan of the Doctor to enjoy it.
- The Crazies - The 2009 remake of the 1973 George Romero classic. You know what I mostly hate about some of the newer horror flicks out there? It's that feeling that no one would really act that way under those circumstances. Like carrying around a video camera while battling for your life. I never had that feeling while watching this film. That's why I think it's a near-perfect entry in the genre. And Timothy Olyphant is just dreamy, of course.
Jun 8, 2011
5 Netflix Instant Recommendations
This one is gonna be interactive, kiddies. First, I'll give you five title recommendations that are currently available on Netflix Instant. Then you, at least those of you who use Netflix, supply me with five more recommendations in the comments section. Easy, peasy, lemon squeezy.