Feb 25, 2010

Arm like a cannon, head like a cannonball

So in the wake of the Plaxico Burress self-shooting and the Gilbert Arenas locker-room showdown, Major League Baseball has decided to either enforce or implement a gun ban at all stadiums including the locker rooms. I say "enforce or implement" because it's a little vague whether or not there already was a league-wide rule or if it's just something that they are going to stress.

Either way, I can't imagine anyone would have a problem with this. You shouldn't be bringing guns to the baseball game. Not the players, not the fans, not the umpires. Leave the guns to the police, is what I always say. I know that I get patted down every single time I go to Yankee Stadium, and I don't think it's because the security guy likes what he sees. I mean, he might...but that's not why he pats me down. Nope, he's looking for weapons. And I applaud that.

Like I said, I can't imagine anyone thinking that this ban is a bad thing.

Meet Ryan Franklin, closer for the St. Louis Cardinals.

That's an epic beard you've got there, Mr. Franklin!

I dig Ryan Franklin.  I dig his intensity.  I dig his talent.  I mostly dig his beard.  But sometimes athletes should know when to shut the hell up.  In a story run by the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Franklin had a few words about the new MLB policy on guns.
"If you grew up around it, being in the outdoors and stuff, I was taught as a young kid how to respect firearms," Franklin said following Saturday's workout. "First of all, you don't get stupid with it. Always treat a gun like it's loaded. That's what I taught my son and daughters. There's a place for them."
Nothing to wrong with what he had to say there.  Just plain old good sense.  But he continues.
"There are a few guys that screwed it up for everybody," Franklin said. "If it wasn't for the NFL guy a couple years ago bringing a weapon into a nightclub ... you've just got to be smart."
Screwed up what for whom?  What's he trying to say here?  That if Plaxico Burress hadn't brought a gun to that nightclub a few years ago then what?  He wouldn't have to deal with clubhouse ban on guns?  I don't get it.  

Now, this could be a bit of a hatchet job by the press.  Nowhere does Franklin specifically say that he is angry that he can't bring one of his many guns to the stadium.  You would that that the "there's a place for them" quote takes care of that situation.  Maybe he was just frustrated at being told what to do.  That's the problem a lot of the supporters of the 2nd Amendment have.  They just don't want the government to butt in on their gun fun.

But if I'm Ryan Franklin, an avid outdoorsman and and a proponent of the right to bear arms, my response to this is "Damn right!  That's good advice.  There's no need for anyone to bring a gun to work, whether it's a Pizza Hut, an office building or a baseball stadium.  That's just good old common sense.  I hate that we need rules and laws that specifically state that, but in the wake of recent events regarding guns and atheletes I can see why MLB is doing this."  End of story.

But no, now it seems like he is a bit of a gun nut who is pissed off that he can't bring his shotgun to the game with him.  I'm absolutely positive that isn't true, by the way.  I have no doubt that he was venting about gun control laws in general.  That's fine.  Just pick the right words and time and place next time, okay Big Red?
___________________________________________________

Note: Remember to play the Bug-Eyed Trivia Challenge every day. Crash Davis would've known what to say.

21 comments:

Barlinnie said...

Baseball, Bacon, Bourbon, and now Beards.. I'm sensing a pattern.

Verdant Earl said...

Jimmy - I'm a big fan of Boobs, Beauty, Beer and Brilliant Bloggers as well.

savannah said...

when does spring training start? xoxoxo

p.s. i think it's time to get all the baseball flicks out and have a marathon session!

sybil law said...

No one ever accused athletes of being smart, or at the very least, good communicators!
It's like those crazy labels you see nowadays, like, "Do not drink" on a bottle of bleach. I mean, DUH, but because one freaking assmunch thought it was a good idea...

RW said...

I, frankly, am surprised at you.

I think, if you're a professional athlete, bringing guns into the locker room is a good idea and a right to be protected. You never know when a steroid or drug deal is going to go bad. Or like suddenly there's a 6-point deer walking in the shower.

The capability of defending oneself against the occasional rogue elephant is a God-given right for us all. And the mere idea that you would support the notion that these vulnerable, fragile men should be forced to go to work without the benefit of firepower is simply astonishing to me.

I really believe I should rethink my participation on your blog.

Hmph.

Water Logged Canine said...

This is my rifle,
This is my gun,
This is for shooting (pumps rifle)
This is for fun (grabs dick)!

I am in a world...of...shit.

Wait...we can't drink bleach? I wouldn't know any better. Then again, I'm just an athlete.

Slyde said...

baseball

Verdant Earl said...

Savannah - Pitchers and catchers have already reported. Yipee!!!

Sybil - You can't drink bleach?

RW - I believe you've turned me around on this one. I honestly don't know what I was thinking.

Doggie - Private Joker, why are you not stomping Private Pyle's guts out?

Slyde - Deal with it.

hello haha narf said...

when they pat you down they are looking for booze. you can't bring any in because you must buy their over priced stuff.

well, and they wanna feel you up...

Verdant Earl said...

Becky - They only started patting down attendees at Yankee Stadium after 9/11. So there it's about weapons. But you are right. When I had Jets season tickets we got patted down for booze. Yet I managed to sneak some in every game. Best places for it? Inside a carried umbrella on rainy days or tucked into a hood on your jacket or sweatshirt. They never looked there.

hello haha narf said...

best place for me to hid booze, not even kidding, is right in the front. yep, under the boobs. i can get a full bottle of ketel one or maker's mark into any stadium.
now you really wanna come to a buccos game here in the burgh with me, don't cha?
:)

hello haha narf said...

hide.
not hid.
dammit.

white rabbit said...

Perhaps Heather Whatsername should grow a beard...

:D

Verdant Earl said...

Becky - Well, ya gotta use what the good Lord gave ya, is what I always say. ;)

Wabbit - It couldn't hurt.

Mrs. Hall said...

ehem.

so i work with the military population and in a state were hunters comprise the majority of the male population.

this means there is a sign next to the "mental health clinic-lower level"

it reads "No weapons beyond this sign" and has a knife, a gun and such in the center of a red circle with a diagonal line through it.

because people often have knives/guns ON THEIR PERSON around here.

JESUS I UNDERSTAND THAT ITS THE 2ND AMMENDMENT BUT CHRIST ALMIGHTY IF YOU CAN'T LEAVE IT AT HOME LEAVE IT IN YOUR CAR.

also, waiting room coversations about m-16's are the norm. they discuss pros-cons of newest model.

baaah.

not sure where I am going with this but felt the need to weigh in about guns and the work place.

cheers!

Verdant Earl said...

Holly - I don't know if I want guns kept in cars either. That seems like a dangerous place to store a gun as it's pretty easy to steal a car. But I hear ya...

Kevin McKeever said...

But he's no Mad Hungarian.

Bob S. said...

Earl,

Sorry to disagree with you but people with high profile lifestyles, salaries and positions shouldn't have to give up their right to self defense because of the actions of a few.

http://www.listafterlist.com/tabid/57/listid/9912/Sports++Recreation/Professional+Athletes+as+Victims+Robbery+Home+Invasion+Murder.aspx

If the MLB was serious about protecting their players, they would mandate firearm training.
This way the players could carry where they need to -- coming in and out of stadiums where the criminals know they will be --and still be safer.

Verdant Earl said...

Uncool - He was one of my favorites!

Bob S. - Like you said, we disagree on this. And I didn't read that article, but it looks like it's about home invasions and robberies. Neither of which are likely to occur in the clubhouse. I think bringing guns to the workplace is just ridiculously un-safe, but I'm sure you disagree.

Mrs. Hall said...

yeah see, if they leave it in the car

ITS NOT IN THE CLINIC SO SCORE!!!

Heff said...

How in THE HELL did I miss this post ?

Nice beard, indeed.

Yeah, I get patted down, too, lol !