Feb 9, 2010

Stuff bullets

I have a bunch of stuff in my notepad I keep on my PC desktop.  Stuff I need to get done, stuff to tell Gia about, stuff to blog about.  And the last stuff pile keeps getting bigger and bigger and bigger.  Mostly because I'm lazy and new, um, stuff keeps coming up all the time.  Distracting me from the other stuff.  Well, there is only thing to do in this situation.

A bullet post.  With stuff!
  • The Chicago-style hot dogs we made for the Super Bowl were just perfect, in case anyone was wondering.  The bacon-infused rye was wonderful too, but maybe I didn't use the right kind of bacon.  Because while the flavor was smoky and sweet and smooth, it didn't really have a strong enough bacon aroma for my liking.  I found a recipe from a bar in Toronto called the Hoof Cafe that I'm gonna try next.  They actually drop the cooked bacon and the grease into the rye and let it infuse for 3 whole days.  Maybe those Canadians know what they are doing after all.  Maybe not.
  • I finally got a chance to sit down and watch The Hurt Locker last week.  I've been a fan of Jeremy Renner for a while now, but he was absolutely brilliant in this flick.  I don't know how "real" it is, but this was one powerfully brutal flick.  Well deserving of all the praise and awards that are being heaped on it.
  • So there is this robot, a box is all it is really, that's sole purpose is to re-sell itself on eBay every couple of weeks.  It was created by an artist named Caleb Larsen who dubbed it "A Tool to Deceive and Slaughter".  It was last sold for $6,350 a week ago so it will be back on sale soon.  This, um, thing keeps skipping from one owner to another and all it does is re-sell itself once it finds its temporary home.  You still don't get it, do you? It'll find you! That's what it does! It's ALL it does! You can't stop it! It'll wait for you!  Oh...sorry.  Wrong robot.
  • I'm one of those guys that has the news on in the background while I am working and playing.  So I hear it, but sometimes I don't process it.  Like the story about Sarah Palin writing crib notes for her "tea party" speech on her own hand like she was cheating on a High School History exam.  I heard it, but I thought someone was just making a joke.  I mean, there is no way she would be caught doing something obvious like that, right?  Wrong.  My favorite part is how she crossed out budget on her own hand.  Way to stay in the news, Sarah!
  • A while back, RW wrote a little something on his blog about Charles Bukowski.  Hank, if you prefer.  A helluva writer, he was also pretty famous for being one of those legendary drinkers you're always hearing about.  Got me to thinking about which legendary drinker I would have loved to have spent an evening with at the pub.  Hank Williams.  Ernest Hemingway.  W.C. Fields.  John Barrymore.  Oliver Reed.  There's a lot to choose from.  I'd probably pick my grandfather.  Never met the man.  He died before a few years before I was born.  But he was a legendary drinker with a capital L, if one were to believe the tall tales.  I betcha some of those more famous legendary drinkers have grand-kids that would have loved to known them better as well.  I really not trying to be maudlin here.  It wasn't really the drink that killed him.  Well, not just the drink.  I just think it would have been a hoot to hang out with the dude.
  • Speaking of legendary drinking, I wish I was down in New Orleans today for the parade honoring the Saints for their Super Duper win on Sunday.  I'm sure Bourbon Street will be rockin' and rollin' the way they do.  Gonna be a bit crazy though.  Being the week before Fat Tuesday and all, Mardi Gras is gonna be a sight to behold this year, I'm tellin' ya! But instead, it's time to dust off my most favorite video ever. Clint Maegdan and the Preservation Hall Jazz Band doing their version of The Kinks song "Complicated Life".


PS - For those counting (Slyde), this is the fourth time I've posted this video here.  But it's been over a year, so...
___________________________________________________

Note: Remember to play the Bug-Eyed Trivia Challenge every day. Get yourself to Preservation Hall.  It's one of those magic places that you often hear about.

17 comments:

Avitable said...

I was hoping for a robot that actually got up and left its owner voluntarily. I remain disappointed.

Faiqa said...

Yeah. I would have like to be in New Orleans this week, too. For the beignets, of course. There was a game, too?

Verdant Earl said...

Avitable - No...it's some subtle like this that starts the machines on their inevitable path toward world domination. Something small.

Faiqa - Well the game was in Miami. ;) I love me some beignets from the Cafe Du Monde. My last time in New Orleans we would stop by there twice a day for a sugar and caffeine rush. Best coffee ever. And all that confectionery sugar on the beignets...

hello haha narf said...

i'm drinking the world's worst coffee and dreaming of beignets at cafe du monde. fuck...way to throw a monkey wrench into my perfectly good tuesday morning.

as if i didn't desire to be in nola enough, now i want it even more. see how you are?

RW said...

Back when I was actually submitting work it was a kick to open up a college lit mag or "alt-zine" I'd managed to get in and find my stuff next to Buk's when he was still living.

Yeah. Um... ok that's my 15 minutes. I know... big deal. lol.

Verdant Earl said...

Becky - Hey...Faiqa mentioned beignets first! ;)

RW - it is a big deal. Very, very cool. Did you save those?

Dr Zibbs said...

The Hurt Locker eh? I'll ad that to my list since Legion got terrible reviews.

Slyde said...

wow... and just a month ago you attempted to bust my balls because i re-ran a 2 year old post.

This must be embarassing for you.

p.s. Thanks for sending me the info i asked you for yesterday. douche.

Kevin McKeever said...

I'm a big Kinks fan and that video was a new one for me. So there, Slyde!

sybil law said...

I'd love to have hung out with Hank. And like you, so many other people.

I totally forgot my original comment. Yes - my thoughts come and go that quickly.

RW said...

Yep. Got a whole boxload of zines nobody ever heard of! Ha...

Verdant Earl said...

Zibbs - it was really, really good.

Slyde - yeah, but my content is so much better than your content. So the occasional re-post is well worth it. And you are welcome about sending you that info. Did it help?

Uncool - oh he was just being his douchey self. It's a little thing we do here in the comments section of each other's blogs.

Sybil - drinking killed those brain cells, eh? ;)

RW - I used to write letters to newspapers and magazines all the times. While not on the level of actual short stories, I was kinda psyched every time I saw one in The New York Times or Esquire. I used to have them all saved, but one day I just threw them out. I'd love to have them back. Never one to the editors of Penthouse, though. Sad.

Slyde said...

see, now i dont know if you are trying to be an asshat, or you really sent me the info and i just didnt get it.

Barlinnie said...

You got a harumph outta me pal... look, there goes another one.

Candy's daily Dandy said...

Legendary drinkers...you make it sound so appealing.Like I wanna hang too.

Verdant Earl said...

Slyde - I'm always trying to be an asshat.

Jimmy - It's what I live for.

Candy - I'm a legend in my own mind. Does that count?

Bruce Johnson said...

You ain't the only one that keeps lists of things to do. I usually have multipule lists, in the office, in the kitchen, in the garage (I actually have a floor to ceiling dry erase board out there).....My greatest nightmare is to lose all my lists.