Feb 17, 2010

Snow Day

We got a bit more snow than we expected today, but it was a pleasant snow.  3-4 inches of soft white fluffiness on top of the foot and a half that we got last week.  Made everything pleasantly white and clean again.  You know how snow can look after it's been around for a few days.  All black and crappy.  Well this fixed that.

I took a walk late in the afternoon while it was coming down pretty heavily just to take a few pictures.  You can click on any of the links below to see the individual pics.  Or you can just enjoy this quick mosaic I made.



1. Up to Street Level,
2. Old Snowy Glory, - Our neighbor flies the flag even in inclement weather.
3. Mill Dam Bridge,
4. Heron Statue, - Around 20 feet tall. Very nice!  Celebrating the local herons who nest here.
5. The "Ross" Ice Shelf, - The harbor has had this ice floe for about a month now. You can see the change in gray color on the water that shows where it is.  But since the tides are so extreme here it never fully ices over.
6. Upper Harbor,
7. Birdbath behind bushes,
8. Smuttynose Winter - All that hiking through the snow made me thirsty.


___________________________________________________

Note: Remember to play the Bug-Eyed Trivia Challenge every day. All the snow angels are doing it.

17 comments:

Brittany said...

aww I can. not. wait. to be back around snow! I honestly miss snow days! :)

I cant wait until Aidyn-man is in school, and we wake up to tons of snow, and no school! Those were my favorite days growing up! (being snowed in with my mom and bakeing!)

Barlinnie said...

I'm slightly concerned.. was that beer bottle full or empty when it was lost to the snow?

savannah said...

now THAT is snow, sugar! this town would come to a grinding halt if we'd had HALF that much. gorgeous photos, btw ;~D xoxox

RW said...

do I see the snow...? No, I do not. My construction/property background kicks in and says "wow, prime L.I. waterfront property. Mucho dinero there."

I know... I need to get a life.

Slyde said...

"a walk in the late afternoon"?

dont you work?

Verdant Earl said...

Brittany - Heya! Moving North, eh? Good luck!

Jimmy - No need to fret. I assure you it was properly attended to.

Savannah - Yeah, but you did get a little, right?

RW - Alas, we don't own the property. We rent. We couldn't afford to buy this property. Hell, I could win the lottery and still not afford this property.

Slyde - Ah, that old nugget. You are getting repetitive in your old age, snookums.

i am the diva said...

Yeah, the snow is nice, but only for a week or two (she said while digging her car out of her driveway) not full on from October to March... Great pics, though.

Verdant Earl said...

Diva - yeah, I can handle it for about 2 weeks. Half the year? No thanks!

Water Logged Canine said...

Is the heron statue new? Saw it for the first time the other day. Kept meaning to ask you. Thanks for providing the perfect reminder.

Verdant Earl said...

WLC - It's actually kind old. I'll email you the detes.

marty mankins said...

Nice photos.

I miss snow days. And I live in a place where snow should be right now.

sybil law said...

LOVE the snow around here. Also, snow days.
I am kind of getting sick of it, though! Too bad we're getting even more this week!
Lovely pictures!

RW said...

I have a friend in Rocky Point who constantly blows my mind about what land goes for there. And he isn't talking about the Hampton's either.

Verdant Earl said...

Sybil - I know I loved snow days when I was a kid in school. Didn't get 'em often enough for my liking.

RW - My sister lives a town over from Rocky Point. Used to be cheap, relatively, but that whole are boomed over the past decade or so. We are on the eastern edge of LI's famed Gold Coast. You wouldn't BELIEVE the cost of waterfront property around here.

Water Logged Canine said...

Wow! You're right...it is pretty old. Just over a month now. ;-)

hello haha narf said...

herons always remind me of my mom. thanks so much for this post today. as a fellow fan of snow, it was just what i needed!

Verdant Earl said...

Doggie - stickler!

Becky - Very cool, glad you enjoyed it.