Feb 1, 2010

Smashed Pumpkin

The Smashing Pumpkins became hugely popular right around the time that I was most into new music. And the type of music that they played was exactly the type of music I was generally listening to in the early 1990's. I think I even saw them play in a bar after they released their debut album in 1991.

But something never clicked. A lot of my friends dug them, and I tried. I really tried. I bought some of their albums. Siamese Dreams. Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. But it was all just for show. Because I never really...got them. Ya know?

I mean, their songs would play on the radio and my first reaction would be to turn that shit up. And then it would all just go to shit and I never figured out why. Then the other day I heard "Cherub Rock" on XM Radio and the same thing happened. I cranked it up. I love the beginning of "Cherub Rock"! But then Billy Corgan started singing and it hit me.

I can't stand Billy Corgan.

I mean, I don't know the guy personally and I can appreciate a certain amount of talent on his part. But I hate his singing. It ruins every single song that they have ever recorded. I'm sure I'm in the minority with this opinion, judging by the band's album sales and loyal following. But I really just can't stand his singing style.

Check out "Cherub Rock" below and see what you think. It starts out strong and then it all goes to crap.  And that's pretty much how it goes for all of their songs.  For me, at least.


___________________________________________________

Note: Remember to play the Bug-Eyed Trivia Challenge every day. And he kinda looks like a douche.  Right?

13 comments:

Kevin McKeever said...

If it wasn't for your love of the Yankees and that mass of wooly gray on your face and head, we could be twins. At least as far as the Pumpkins go. Every time he screeches "despite all my rage I'm still just a rat in a cage" I want to jab sharp objecting into my ears. Or better yet, Billy Corigan's.

Verdant Earl said...

Uncool - Right? I swear, I think about the words and I can admit that he is an amazing writer. But his singing sucks! Oh, yeah...3 weeks until pitchers and catchers report. Go Yanks!

savannah said...

yikes, i couldn't even think of one of their songs...but anyway, sugar...i know you weren't gonna watch the grammys but, you have to check out pink's performance on youtube! xoxoxo

(and no, i didn't watch the pro bowl or even the entire grammys!)

Slyde said...

we dont normally agree on music, mostly because i like good songs while you prefer shit, but i have to agree here. i never really got the pumpkins either. and i really tried to.

Verdant Earl said...

Savannah - I turned it on and off actually. Nothing I saw was any good except the Kings of Leon winning Best Record. But I'll go look for Pink's performance. For you. ;)

Slyde - You are my musical inspiration.

Mrs. Hall said...

someday i'm gonna do a whole post on great bands that were ruined by effed up lead singers. Bands I LOVED or had potential-and then it turned to shit because of the stupid, arrogant, idiot overgrown and over indulged lead singers.

For example Stone Temple Pilots, Hole, Oasis, Smashing Pumpkins, bah, I'm sure there's more.

And yes, oh yes Earl, Billy Corgen is a DOUCHE BAG.

DOUCHE!

winey six foot bald idiot.

ok good. I feel better now ;)

Verdant Earl said...

Holly - Even though Scott Weiland and Liam Gallagher are huge assholes...they at least sound good. Ya know? It's more Corgan's singing style that I can't stand rather than the man himself.

sybil law said...

Sorry - I love Smashing Pumpkins. There's a lot of singers with voices I don't particularly like, but if it sounds good and is in tone with the music, then I can deal.
Still - Billy Corgan does seem like a major douche, like Moby.

Kate said...

I don't mind it too much. It's a unique style.. not my total fave, but it doesn't make me cringe.. UNLIKE Jane's Addiction and Stone Temple Pilots singers do.

ARG!
PS I posted about Lady Ga Ga the other day.. inspired by your The Ladies post on Friday.

Water Logged Canine said...

Smashing Pumpkins are one of Chicago's best exports, and a true source of pride. I suppose, next you're going to tell me that you don't like Chicago Dogs, or Dipped Roast Beef sang-witches eeder.

You my friend, can go and do whatever it is you irish fellers do when you are told to go and do it.

Love a Smashing Pumpkins. Love a Billy Corgan.

justsomethoughts... said...

his voice can get annoying after a while
but the music is good

Verdant Earl said...

Sybil - I know they have their fans. Just not me.

Kate - I'm a bit behind the curve when it comes to Lady Gaga. Wouldn't recognize any of her songs if they hit me in the face.

Doggie - C'mon...you know I love Chicago! Just not doucheface Corgan.

Duder - Corgan can certainly turn an appealing phrase as a writer, but he turns my stomach as a singer.

marty mankins said...

I love Smashing Pumpkins and have all of their albums, but I admit they are not an easy favorite for some.

For me, the first 3 albums are some of the best. Machina and Machina II were good.. not great, but good enough for a fan.

Now, Billy Corgan has gone off the fucking rails. These new songs of his, him being the remaining original Pumpkin (it's my theory that if he were to get all of the original members back, they could return to greatness)

But I don't think that's happening anytime soon. A shame since all of them are still alive (at least I think D'Arcy is still alive)