Feb 6, 2010

Bacon, Rye and Chicago-style Dogs

So last night I was cooking up some bacon that I had bought a few days earlier. Didn't want it to go bad in the fridge, ya know. Made a nice low-brow meal of some BLTs and some spicy, vegetable risotto for us on a cold and supposedly snowy Friday evening. I say "supposedly" because the huge snowstorm that hit most of the East Coast missed us entirely. I'm jake with that. No shoveling for me.

Since I was gonna have all that lovely, smokey bacon fat I decided to make a batch of baconized whiskey. I used Rye this time just because. Just for scuzz. It tends to come out a bit sweeter than bourbon and it has this crazy smoky ice tea aroma when it is all said and done. Weird, right?


See that missing liquid at the top of the bottle?  I guess that got soaked up by the bacon fat because it's about an ounce of booze that just disappeared.  I usually infuse the whiskey for about 5-6 hours when I do this, but for this batch I let it rest overnight, around 15 hours, to try to get a stronger bacon vibe.  We'll give it a taste tomorrow before the Super Bowl.  Daytime whiskey drinkin', y'all!

Oh, and what are we having during the Super Bowl?  I'm glad you asked.  We are having these:


I kid Chicago because I love Chicago.  And one of the things I love most about Chicago are Chicago-style hot dogs.  Doesn't that look good?  I ordered the hot dogs, buns, relish, peppers, mustard and celery salt directly from Vienna Beef's website.  They were delivered yesterday in a freezer pack looking fresh and wonderful like an angry newborn baby.  Huh, what?

Anyway, why Chicago-style hot dogs for a game involving teams from Louisiana and Indiana?  Why not?  It's not like I really care either way about the game.  I guess I want the Saints to win, but if they don't I'll still sleep fine.  Especially with a tummy full of Bacon Rye, beer and hot dogs.

Have a super Super Sunday everyone!

___________________________________________________

Note: Remember to play the Bug-Eyed Trivia Challenge every day. Go Saints!

7 comments:

sybil law said...

I still don't know what we're eating tomorrow. Bad planner!!!
Can I just come hang out with you? I don't drink - much. Okay - that's a lie. But I don't like, piss myself, or puke anywhere.
:)

Dr Zibbs said...

That bacon whiskey sounds sweet.

Verdant Earl said...

Sybil - I don't piss myself either. Been known to hose down the corner of a hotel room now and then, but...

Zibbs - Last few times I made it, it was. Let's see how this batch came out.

white rabbit said...

Very nice I'm sure - Bushmills is very fine stuff. I take it that the marination was with the Jim Beam as Bushmills bottle looks pretty full!

What is this 'Superbowl' btw? ;)

Verdant Earl said...

Wabbit - Oh yeah, the Beam was baconized, not the Bush. As for the whiskey, I tried to become a Scotch fan but it didn't take. I've always preferred bourbon and Irish Whiskey. There is one called Red Breast that is pot-stilled that is fantastic. Can't find it everywhere though.

hello haha narf said...

i made bacon for breakfast yesterday and today...something about being snowed in made me all crazy enough to cook for myself. anyhow, i thought about drinking the snowday away and thought of you and your bacon bourbon. then BLAM, you go posting and teasing me. cruel, earl. just cruel.

Verdant Earl said...

Becky - does it help that I thought of you when I went to the liquor store and contemplated using Maker's Mark? No? Damn.