Aug 26, 2010

Booze Nooze

See what I did there?

Anyway, I think I've got a new favorite cocktail. I first read about it on BourbonBlog.com a week or so ago, but I read a lot of stuff about cocktails and I never go about making them. But this one seemed easy. Really easy...and that's just the way I like my cocktails.

It's a Re-engineered Bourbon and Coke, and it's fantastic!

Looks good, right?

I decided to give it a try because Gia's sister was up visiting this past weekend and she is a big fan of bourbon cocktails, but not a big fan of carbonation. And this particular recipe takes the carbonation out of the coke by cooking it down.

It uses a simple syrup made from Coca-Cola, some bitters and your favorite whiskey. I actually used Jack Daniels because I thought the smoky/charcoal flavor would go well with the syrup and bitters.

And, of course, I was right. Here's what you do:

Coca-Cola Simple Syrup
1 part Coca-Cola
1 part sugar

Put both ingredients in a small pot and heat until the sugar dissolves in the soda and it just begins to boil. Don't walk away from this, okay? Let it cool to room temperature and then store it in the fridge where it will keep for around 2 weeks.

The Cocktail
2 oz whiskey (use whatever you like)
1/4 oz syrup (see above)
2 dashes of bitters
Twist of lemon for the garnish

Add the first three ingredients into a shaker with some ice. Shake that ass! Then pour into a martini glass or a cocktail glass or a coffee mug and garnish with the lemon twist. I like to serve it in a martini glass that has been chilled in the freezer, but do whatever you want. Make it your own. I use closer to 3 oz of booze and 1/2 oz of syrup. I may actually use an extra dash of bitters too. I like bitters. You got a problem with that?

It's a sweet, smoky, lemony, boozy delicious thing.

Just enjoy the hell out of it, okay?  And give thanks to Stephen Dennison over at BourbonBlog.com, because he's the one who deserves it.
___________________________________________________
Note: Remember to play the Badgerdaddy Trivia Challenge every day. You know you wanna make this.

17 comments:

Water Logged Canine said...

Have we named it yet?

How's about "The Cokesucker?"

Either way...ring a ding ding!

Verdant Earl said...

Doggie - You just want me to call you a Cokesucker one of these nights, right? Ring-a-ding-ding! ;)

white rabbit said...

I have to confess to finding the idea of adding sugar to Coke a touch surreal. Okay I gather why but even so...

Kevin McKeever said...

Would using Pepsi be sacrilege?

Heff said...

I'm guessing the "de-carbonated" Coca-cola is the key to making this con-coke-tion great.

RW said...

What is that line from Quiet Man, earl?

"When I drinks whiskey I drinks whiskey. And when I drink water, oI drink water."

Then there's the one...

"Buttermilk... pshugheh.. the Borgia's would do better."

But anyway - straight up here. Thanks.

RW said...

ol?

Verdant Earl said...

Wabbit - I hesitated at that step as well, but it works...

Uncool - The worst kind.

Heff - it is, although I enjoy a Coke and whiskey just as much as the next lady.

RW - I hear ya, but I haven't truly become a whiskey snob...yet. I do enjoy it on its own sometimes, or with some ice, or with some bacon infusion, or in a fancy schmancy cocktail. It's all good.

sybil law said...

I'm not sure I'd like this at all, since I can't stand Coke - even worse, FLAT Coke. Doesn't it just taste like flat Coke?!
Bourbon - on the rocks. Mmmmm...

Verdant Earl said...

Sybil - It has just a hint of the Coke flavor. Just an added sweetness to the whiskey along with the sour of the bitters. But I hear ya...

marty mankins said...

Having made a good amount of simple syrup over the years, I need to try the Coke version.

Verdant Earl said...

Marty - it was surprisingly subtle.

Kevin Spencer said...

I haven't been able to do any "hard liquor" since the great Southern Comfort incident of 1992. Even the smell of Whiskey makes my stomach turn. Still. It's been 18 years.

Verdant Earl said...

Kevin - I did my fair share of SoCo back in the day. And your share...and his share...and her share. It's the devil. Sickly sweet and potent as a mule kick.

Kate said...

Yum, that actually sounds good to me, the wino. Will you come over and make it for me though? I have no patience for cooking and shaking and all that. It's enough work just to uncork a bottle of cheap red. Thanks.

Verdant Earl said...

Kate - It's surprisingly easy. Just about 5 minutes of prep time and then you have the syrup for 2 weeks. Or you can consult my bartending fee schedule under "you can't afford it" ;)

hello haha narf said...

color me intrigued...