Aug 31, 2010

Bourbon, sweatpants and more meatballs

I don't follow the "Shit My Dad Says" Twitter feed, or at least I didn't until yesterday. But Gia has been reading Justin Halpern's book of the same name on her Kindle the past couple of days and she is literally laughing out loud while doing so. She will often call me to wherever she is just to read me one or two funny lines that she thinks I would enjoy. Stuff like:

On shopping for presents for his birthday: "If it's not bourbon or sweatpants, it's going in the garbage. No, don't get creative. Now is not a creative time. Now is a bourbon and sweatpants time."

Or:

On understanding one's place in the food chain: "Your mother made a batch of meatballs last night. Some are for you, some are for me, but more are for me. Remember that. More. Me."

That's the kinda simple wisdom I can wrap my head around. Bourbon, sweatpants and more meatballs.

William Shatner is going to be starring in a TV Series on CBS based on the Twitter feed and the book, except it's gonna be called $#*! My Dad Says, pronounced like "{Bleep} My Dad Says". Sigh. I don't know if it will be a hit or not, but I'm willing to give it a try. The source material is funny enough that it should carry it at least for a half season or so. And the guy who gave us Cheers is involved, so that's a bonus.

___________________________________________________
Note: Remember to play the Badgerdaddy Trivia Challenge every day. If I could, I'd be wearing sweatpants and drinking bourbon while eating meatballs every day.

13 comments:

sybil law said...

I've totally been following him - freaking HYSTERICAL!

Shatner just scares me.

A Reds/ Yankees showdown would be AWESOME.

Verdant Earl said...

Sybil - As long as he is in on his own joke, I dig Shatner. But he doesn't appear to be all there, right? I'm definitely watching the Reds tomorrow to see if Chapman pitches. Boo-yah!

Kate said...

I've been following SMDS feed, too. Funny as hell! I'm having a hard time picturing Shatner in the roll.

"See, you think I give a shit. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of shit? That's why I look interested."
5:33 PM Aug 7th via ShitMyDadSays.com

Slyde said...

isnt "Bourbon, sweatpants and Meatballs" your Indian name?

Verdant Earl said...

Kate - that's a good one!

Slyde - In fact, it is!

Heff said...

Eh, it'll probably go a full season. "The Shat" needs the money.

white rabbit said...

The bleeping is pathetic...

Let's all die of shock at the word 'shit'. Or not...

Can't say I'm thrilled at Shat(so to speak)ner as casting.

Verdant Earl said...

Heff - Even with all that Price Line moolah?

Wabbit - Yet broadcasters are allowed to SAY the word "shit" after 10PM local time. Ugh.

Ren said...

I'm a bit surprised at the doubt about Shatner in this role. After his wonderful portrayal of Denny Crane in Boston Legal, he seems like an absolutely perfect fit for this.

I watch very few sit-coms, but I'm definitely going to check out this one.

Verdant Earl said...

Ren - I agree that Shatner was amazing as Denny Crane. Let's hope he is just as brilliant in this one.

Faiqa said...

my dad says? BLEEP? That's bleeping lame.

Avitable said...

I have hope that the show is funny, but it's CBS, which makes me severely doubtful.

Verdant Earl said...

Faiqa - F@*c$ing A!

Avitable - CBS does one thing well, and one thing only. Survivor.