Aug 30, 2010

Hurricane Earl


Ladies and gentlemen, prepare to batten down the hatches. Here comes Hurricane Earl.

Right now it looks like the Eastern seaboard could be spared. Projections have it skimming the coast or moving safely out to sea in the North Atlantic. But it's early and it's hard to tell exactly.

It's not every year that a hurricane is named after my fake screen persona. On this 5th anniversary of the tragic events surrounding Hurricane Katrina's landfall on the Gulf Coast, let's hope we all make it through this one safely.

___________________________________________________
Note: Remember to play the Badgerdaddy Trivia Challenge every day. "Hurricane Earl blew iiiiin." < - Slyde will get this.

13 comments:

sybil law said...

I thought I heard that one of them was named Earl!!

Avitable said...

I blame you if it hits us.

Verdant Earl said...

Sybil - I've got pull with the National Meteorological Survey. (I have no idea if they are the ones who name the Himmicanes).

Adam - I'd probably deserve it.

Slyde said...

-2 pts to you for taking away my topic of the day. I was all set to make hurricane earl jokes all day.

but +2 pts to you for the Dream On reference...

white rabbit said...

Another fine mess you've got us (or at least the population of the US eastern seaboard - possibly) in, Earl...

Verdant Earl said...

Slyde - so it all evens out. See?

Wabbit - Hurricane Andrew was the 4th strongest to ever hit the States and did so much damage that the name was retired, as is the custom. Just sayin'...

Kevin McKeever said...

I'm just glad you waited until I returned form vacation before blowing in.

Heff said...

Well, Slyde always DOES say "you blow".

Hey, at least it's not US this time.

We've had 3 of the damn things hit us pretty close to dead-center since 2004.

Verdant Earl said...

Uncool - My fake namesake hurricane is nothing if not polite.

Heff - And "they" say that LI and the NYC area is due for one. We haven't had one hit near us in a long while now. Yikes!

RW said...

I don't mind the E's. It's the T's and U's that start to get to me.

Verdant Earl said...

RW - or that one year when they started going into the Greek alphabet to name them because we had more than 26.

Kevin Spencer said...

I keep waiting for a Hurricane Kevin. Well, not actually waiting for an actual Hurricane, because that would be odd. I mean, a harmless out in the ocean Hurricane named Kevin. That's what I'm waiting for. Or something.

Where the hell was I going with this?

Verdant Earl said...

Kevin - same place I went with it. ;)