Aug 12, 2010

Still Only 25¢

So yesterday's post about Josh Wilker's Cardboard Gods blog got me to thinking, and that's never good for anyone.

I was thinking about doing a regular feature here or starting a new blog using one issue of a comic-book from my youth (probably from 1972 - 1978) as the basis for each blog post. It would be incredibly derivative of what Wilker does on his site, but I'd probably be able to sleep at nights. I even have an idea for a masthead if I decide to create a new blog specifically for this that would riff on the Marvel Comics covers from the spring/summer of 1976 like this one:



But here is my dilemma: I already contribute to a movie blog that I haven't kept up with AND a beer blog that has slowly faded away. Do I start yet another blog in the hopes that I won't grow to ignore it as much as I've ignored these others?

OR...do I simply assimilate all these blogs into The Verdant Dude? Like the Borg.

I could do weekly or monthly regular features like movie reviews or beer reviews or the new 70's comic-book feature or all three. Maybe the 1st Monday of each month for movies, the 2nd for beer and so on. I could arrange the whole thing in categories posted on my sideboard. I could finally become organized!

Phew! Sounds like a lot of work.

I dunno. What do YOU think? If someone keeps multiple blogs, are you just as likely to find their content as those who keep everything in one place? In the feed reader world I would think it would be easy to find the content no matter where it is, but there are bloggers whose main blog is on my feed reader but not their side-project blogs. So I dunno. A dilemma.

___________________________________________________
Note: Remember to play the Badgerdaddy Trivia Challenge every day. Now I'm having issues uploading pictures to Blogger. Sheesh!  Is it just me or is it Blogger in Draft?

16 comments:

Dave2 said...

One blog to rule them all, One blog to contain them, One blog to bring them all and in the blogosphere bind them.

Verdant Earl said...

Dave2 - It's only the first comment, but I'm gonna declare win for the thread! :)

LegalMist said...

No one ever said every blog has to be updated daily forever. I say leave the beer & movie blogs right where they are, update as you feel like it, and add a new blog for your new interest. Blogs, like hobbies, can be picked up and set aside as often as you like.

savannah said...

my favorite line from the princess bride answers important questions like this, sugar! as you wish. xoxoxoxxo

Verdant Earl said...

LM - My only issue with leaving them where they are is that I tend to forget they are there.

Savannah - My favorite line from Princess Bride, and it is soooo hard to choose, is "Anybody want a peanut?" Well, there was this whole lead-up to it. It's funnier in context. ;)

RW said...

That question is exactly my problem. Don't look at me!

Slyde said...

we HAVE kinda let moviegrenade slide lately, havent we?

i blame badger.....

Verdant Earl said...

RW - Yeah, but you've already taken a step toward resolution. Me? Not so much. Well, I guess admitting you have a problem is the first step, so...

Slyde - I blame you.

Avitable said...

What Dave said. Just keep one blog - why not? If you have so much content that you are posting more than once a day, consistently, then maybe consider splitting off.

Verdant Earl said...

Avitable - Oh, I don't think I'll ever post more than once a day. I think consolidating the three/four blogs here might actually help me when it comes to lazy blogger days. I'm leaning toward one blog to rule them all right now.

sybil law said...

One blog, totally. I have your others in my feed reader, but one blog just seems so tidy...

Heff said...

DO IT HERE !!! The time frame you mentioned was when I was HEAVY into comics. That "still only 25 cents" logo brought back fond memories.

I'd LOVE to see if we had some of the same issues...er, comics, that is....

Verdant Earl said...

Sybil - I'm all about the tidy.

Heff - I think my decision is to do it all here. Look for the "Still Only 25¢" feature here starting sometime next month.

Kate said...

You're a blog monkey. ANd I'm jealous.

Verdant Earl said...

Kate - definitely some kind of primate. ;)

marty mankins said...

As someone who has 3 blogs now and is adding a 4th this year AND with the sporadic posting habits so far this year, I'd say keep them all separate and just plan a regular schedule to blog on all of them.