Aug 10, 2010

Twitter gave my laptop an STD

OK, it really wasn't Twitter that did the deed.


But I followed a link from someone or other's Twitter feed to a photo that they wanted to share or something, and THAT site (whatever it was) gave my laptop a little sumpin' sumpin' that it didn't ask for. And before anyone asks, it wasn't from any of the dozen or so people that I follow on Twitter. I was bored and just following one feed to another to another to another and it happened from there.

Has this ever happened to anyone else out there?*

Because it's happened to me before.  Exactly like this.  Following a link to another site from someone's Twitter feed. Well, the other times my anti-virus software caught it before it had a chance to do any damage. But this time I stepped away from my computer for a few moments and when I came back there was this AntiVir Solutions Pro (no link provided for obvious reasons) scam running. It pretends to be a real anti-virus program and claims to identify a bunch of viruses and/or malware files and then directs you to a website to purchase their upgraded software.

Part of it's charm is fucking with the startup programs on your computer, so it made it seem like any of them that were trying to run were infected by one or many viruses.  More of a pain in the ass than harmful from what I've read at least, but annoying as all hell.  Took me a couple of hours of running anti-virus and anti-malware programs to get rid of the beast finally and give the rest of my system a clean bill of health.

I don't know why my anti-virus software, my recently updated anti-virus software, didn't catch this.  From what I've read, this particular bit of malware has become very common in the past month or so.  Ugh...sucky people suck so much.

This is exactly why I'm not a Twitter guy.**

*Before any of you Mac users respond with "Well I use a Mac and we don't get computer viruses", let me just respond with this:  Plllbbbthbbbttt!!!

**That's not EXACTLY the reason.

___________________________________________________
Note: Remember to play the Badgerdaddy Trivia Challenge every day. Evil people are in the cloud.  Watch yer ass!

9 comments:

Water Logged Canine said...

Why did you have to be so "Pro-Mac-Tive?"

As I was reading your post, I began to salivate at the thought of proclaiming, "wouldn't have happened if you had a Mac!" I definitely wanted to rub your nose in your PC mess like a bad wet dog! BUT NOOOOOOO...you have to throw out disclaimers to discourage the likes of me and my peers.

Someone call the cops, cos Earl just stole my THUNDER!

RW said...

We get our share. There are mac-based viruses out there.

Somewhere.

Verdant Earl said...

Doggie - Because I know how you all are, you elitist snob you!

RW - I know. But for years that has been the war cry against PCs and for Macs.

sybil law said...

You just wanted to see some slutty chick naked, admit it.
:)

I hate when that crap pops up. My kid will get on my computer in the mornings, and I used to get on after wards like, WTF, and now she can't get on my computer anymore. And hers has been severely limited.

Heff said...

My son recently RE-INFECTED the home computer with a virus from a F'in Facebook app, so Heff is currently running on two cylinders again !

Screw anti virus software. I'm wiping the drive again.

Verdant Earl said...

Sybil - Believe it or not, it was someone who took a picture of a beer they were drinking that I wanted to see. How lame is that?

Heff - I heard Facebook is a big-time virus offender, but I don't do Facebook.

justsomethoughts... said...

that sucks

maybe there is some sort of topical cream you can use...

Verdant Earl said...

Dude - I think a strict regime of whiskey might help...

Avitable said...

Never had that happen to me.