Aug 23, 2010

Earl's favorite film scenes: Volume VI

This one is a long one, but it's so worth it to see horror master John Carpenter at the top of his game. Starting in 1978 with Halloween, Carpenter was butter...because he was on a roll. The Fog and Escape From New York followed, and each was awesome in their own ways. But he really climbed the heights of the horror genre with his remake of The Thing in 1982.  In a lot of ways, I think it might be his best film.  Ah...I don't know, but it's close.

The great old-school special effects by Rob Bottin were something back in the early 80's, and surprisingly they still hold up today.  I definitely prefer it to some of the CGI/3-D crap going on these days.  Enjoy!



___________________________________________________
Note: Remember to play the Badgerdaddy Trivia Challenge every day. I'd rather not spend the rest of this winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!

10 comments:

Slyde said...

i love the thing. and i also HATE all the cgi bullshit that they throw into movies nowadays... just give me a guy in a good rubber monster suit and im happy..

Verdant Earl said...

Slyde - Or maybe just a guy in a leather suit hiding in a locked chest down in your basement somewhere, eh?

sybil law said...

Hahaha - You and Slyde need your own show, I swear. :)

I totally forgot what I was going to say... Oh! The Thing! Yes - definitely awesome. :)

Verdant Earl said...

Sybil - You think people would enjoy a half-hour of the two of us mocking each other? Shit...it gets old for me after 5 minutes! ;)

Heff said...

Good movies, one and ALL.

RW said...

Oh yeah... movies. Did.. um... was there a book?

What a total dweeb I am...

Verdant Earl said...

Heff - a fellow J.Carpenter fan, I see. Nice!

RW - Yeah. It's an adaptation of a novella called "Who Goes There?" written by John W. Campbell. A pretty faithful adaptation too. Good book, but Campbell kinda stopped writing after it was published to focus on his Editor job at Astounding Sci-Fi (later Analog magazine).

Kevin Spencer said...

Good lord it's been ages since I've seen those moveis. In my former life the ex-wife and I used to have a Carpenter fest every Halloween night.

Verdant Earl said...

Kevin - sounds like a perfect Halloween to me!

Nej said...

Great movie!!!