Dec 22, 2008

Demonology*

Sorry about yesterday's moody post. Just wasn't feeling it, if you know what I mean.

So I decided to do something about it. I ran out to the market, picked up some ingredients and some super-duper fresh bread (I love bread) and I made this soup. It's called Avgolemono, and it's so fucking good. I didn't make my own chicken stock. Who does that? I used this heavy stock made from rotisserie chicken I found at the market. It was so dark it almost looked like beef stock. I also added some shredded roasted chicken and I substituted arborio rice for the orzo. Just because I felt like it. That's right.

Nothing like some really good soup and some really good bread to put me in a better mood. I hope it has a drowsy effect on me for later tonight. Would love a good 8-hour sleep this evening.

*Oh, and the post title? Demonology is one of spell checks suggestions for a correct spelling of Avgolemono. I thought that was kinda funny.

___________________________________________________

Note: Remember to play the Bug-Eyed Trivia Challenge every day. All the top chefs are doing it.

18 comments:

livesbythewoods said...

I make my own chicken stock. Sometimes.

The soup sounds great.

Verdant Earl said...

LBTW - I did it once and it was too much of a hassle for me. It tasted great, but so do some of the store bought stocks out there.

Slyde said...

if i rub your belly with Viks vapor rub, would you cuddle under a blanket with me and feed me this soup?

wait, what?

Heff said...

That soup looks pretty good. I may have to put Donna up to that task.

Verdant Earl said...

Slyde - If by "Vicks vap-o-rub" you mean Slyde's man juice, then by all means yes. Wait, what?

Heff - It's a standard at all the Greek restaurants around here. But mine came out might fine as well. Much more of a roasted chicken flavor than any that I've had before. And glad to see you are still around. :)

Dr Zibbs said...

Sounds tasty.

Michelle said...

b.e. sounds mighty tasty!! I am going to try this!! Is it like egg drop soup just lemony tasting???

I'm serious!! Don't laugh!! Stop laughing please!!!

Have a great day dude!!!

Anonymous said...

That sounds like an awesome soup. It reminds me of a recipe for soup from my grandmother from the "old country." Good for you for making it yourself at home - I bet it was healthier than anything you could get in a restaurant.

justsomethoughts... said...

harumph!

soup sounds rather tasty.
it's downright NASTY cold out...

Ookami Snow said...

I me some like lemon chicken soup.

hello haha narf said...

love me some soup. this looks spectacular. i'll be right over!

wait. where do you live?

hello haha narf said...

p.s. you don't ever have to apologize for being moody. that is what we are here for.

Verdant Earl said...

Zibbs - it truly was.

Michelle - Since you beat the egg whites first and then add the yolks, lemon and some of the broth before adding the whole mixture to the soup it becomes more creamy than egg drop soup. And the eggs don't curdle. So it just gets real thick.

Teeni - I dunno about healthier, but it was damned good.

Dude - harumph backatcha!

Ookami - Too me.

Becky - I live in cold-ass New York where soup this hot and good is needed today. Hell yeah!

pure evyl said...

I don't know if it's any good but it's certainly a mouthful.

Anonymous said...

Yum. That looks amazing!

I'm the queen of soup and stew and stoup over here.

Verdant Earl said...

Evyl - You said it.

Catscratch - I love me some stoup.

Faiqa said...

demonology looks delicious.

Fancy Schmancy said...

That soup looks delicious, when are you going to come make it for me? I don't live that far away...