Dec 5, 2008

What you should be reading

No. Not actual literature or in-depth political essays. Nothing that high brow.

I'm talking about blogs you should be reading. Only, of course, if you are into the kind of smack that these folks are talking. And I don't mean the daily reads that I have on my blogroll (which I really need to update) down below. I mean topic-specific blogs that, for some reason or another, I have decided to keep to myself. I thoroughly enjoy reading all of them, and that should be a major consideration on your part to start reading them. Because, after all, I'm your style guru.

Politics
Do you like your politics a little bit left of center? Were you happy with the way that the past election panned out (well, for the most part)? If you answered "yes" to either of those questions, then give the kids over at The Savvy, The Extremist & The Idealist a look see. What started as a collaboration of three individuals is now a the place for seven unique contributors to discuss their political ideals. And the masthead alone is worth checking out.

Baseball
Well, and sports in general. But mostly baseball. Check out Joe Posnanski, sports writer for the Kansas City Star. His stuff is always entertaining, and he knows just about as much about pop culture trivia as anyone I know. His latest entry on the makeup of the Baseball Hall of Fame is a must read for anyone interested in the subject. And by anyone, I mean you. Very interesting to see how long it took some of baseball's all-time greats to gain induction. Well, interesting to me at least.

Sex
Yeah, you read that right. Sex. It sells, it yearns, it needs, it feeds, it wants. Sex. Sorry, went off on a tangent there for a moment. I've been a proponent of this woman's blog since, well...before I really even knew what a blog was. Her name is Violet Blue and in addition to her Tiny Nibbles blog, she writes for the San Francisco Chronicle among many, many other projects. And I have more than a little crush on her. A crush endorsed by Gia, just in case you were wondering. Be careful. This one is definitely NSFW.

Horror Films
I've only recently discovered Stacie Ponder and her Final Girl blog, but I've been wondering where she was in my life for just about ever. Ms. Ponder also writes for AMC's website every Wednesday in the Horror Hacker column. So, do you like films like Poltergeist III a little more than you should? How about sitting down and enjoying a crappy 80's slasher flick, even though you know it really sucks? Yeah? Then you have found soul mates in both me and in Stacie Ponder. Ewww.

Let's see...politics, baseball, sex, horror films. Yeah, that about sums me up. If I had a really great beer blog (besides mine) that I could recommend, then I would. But I'm still searching.

Now I command ye to go forth and get edumacated on these subjects. GO!

___________________________________________________

Note: Remember to play the Bug-Eyed Trivia Challenge every day. All the best bloggers are doing it.

12 comments:

rien magazine said...

We're from Chicago and often mix up the baseball and horror film thing.

Michelle said...

So, i am almost going running yet here i sit looking at that darn sex blog!!! I thank you b.e. you finally got it right for me!!

You no longer have to blog about recipes/manicures/shopping!!

You are so off the hook! Now back to hmmm, the blogs!!!

Have a great weekend dude!!

Avitable said...

Ugh. Today's trivia killed me. I'm bad with music.

Kevin McKeever said...

Thanks for pointing out Posnanski. Good read.

Heff said...

Sorry. I prefer to read NOTHING productive, which is why I love your blog so much, lol !

Jennifer and Sandi said...

Love Violet!!! You naughty boy!

HAPPY FRIDAY *Tink*

- Jennifer

Faiqa said...

Because you have exhibited excellent taste regarding these matters in the past, I will add these to my reader. Except the baseball one. And I will forgive you for not writing: "For pointers on the art of pure and complete awesomeness, you should check out Faiqa. I often find myself at her blog and think to myself, 'hmmm, could I be any more awesomer than I am? Yes. Yes, I could.' "

Verdant Earl said...

K&E - I've witnessed some of that horror. It's kinda like what we have in NY, but with basketball.

Michelle - She's hawt, ain't she?

Avitable - Well, I need to catch up to you somehow!

Uncool - easily one of my favorite writers out there.

Spamdude - spam, spam, spam, spam. spam, spam, spam, spam. Know what goes good with Spam? Spam.

Heff - best compliment I've had in a while. Thanks!

Jenn - Nothing naughty about a healthy interest in sex. Right? ;)

Faiqa - I believe my second paragraph mentioned that I was pointing out topic-specific blogs that weren't on my blogroll. For recommendations about blogs ON my blogroll, of course...you would be right at the top. Of course you would. Seriously. I almost can't live without you. Almost. How's that? :)

Faiqa said...

You had me at "Almost." ::heartbeat:: All is forgiven.

Slyde said...

never cared for violet blue, but the horror sites were a good find!

Verdant Earl said...

Faiqa - I aim to please.

Slyde - You don't care for Violet Blue??? Sacrilege!

Anonymous said...

Horror films - I'm dying to see The Unborn!