Jan 20, 2010

Cosmic Coincidence

So, do you remember how I said that in 2010 I was gonna try to read a bunch of Hugo Award-winning novels that I had never gotten around to reading in the past? Sure you do. Well I finally started yesterday. Picked up a copy of "The Forever War", the 1976 winner by Joe Haldeman. I had never heard of the novel or the author before combing through the list of award winners for that post.  But it seemed like a good starting point for my literary quest.

And do you remember my post from earlier this week in which I talked about the Epsilon Aurigae binary star system and your mother?  Sure you do.  Well I had never heard of that solar system until I read about it and its eclipse period on some geek website that I often peruse.  It intrigued me enough to write a post about it.

Alright...think about those two separate posts written just days apart for a moment.  Then I'd like for you to imagine my surprise when I read that the conscripted genius soldiers of Haldeman's novel were heading to a planet in the star system...that's right...Epsilon Aurigae!

What kind of crazy coincidence is that?  I mean, I pick up a book that is almost 40 years old...out of the blue...and it mentions an obscure star system that I had just heard of for the first time only a couple of days before?  That's fucking crazy!

So I'm gonna start thinking real hard about tonight's winning lottery numbers.  Ya know, just in case.

PS - Oh, and I added a widget on my sideboard to track my progress. I'll cross each book off as I read them. Maybe I'll even post about the good ones. And I already shortened the list by one title. I already read "Startide Rising" by David Brin, but I had forgotten.

___________________________________________________

Note: Remember to play the Bug-Eyed Trivia Challenge every day. Honestly, shit like this happens to me all the time.

15 comments:

Dave2 said...

Did you know that Ridley Scott is developing "The Forever War" as a movie? And now he is planning to make it a 3-D movie because of James Cameron's success with "Avatar!" Pretty sweet.

Water Logged Canine said...

That's a nerdy-ass blog post!

;-)

PS--my word verification is "fooness." I think places with black awnings have seen their share of fooness from time to time.

Mrs. Hall said...

GEEE!! FREAKY dude!

yet so very, very awesome ;)

Maybe the key is writing it in the posts. Like if you write it it will come true. If so, write that I'll win a million dollars. And then we'll see if you're some sort of soothsayer or something.

:)

i am the diva said...

wow! that IS weird... and also - sitting in my draft pile on my blog is a list i'm compiling of the books that *I* want to read in 2010 that i started writing yesterday...

Neo: "Whoah."

Slyde said...

please change the title of the sidebar widget from "What I'm Reading in 2010" to "Reasons I Didnt get laid until i was 40"


thanks!

hello haha narf said...

fucking slyde almost killed me as i started choking on the chili i was eating for breakfast. he wins comment of the week.

and because of him i have no damn clue what i was gonna comment.

hi?

Verdant Earl said...

Dave2 - yeah, I just read that last night. Sweet!

Doggie - You know it! And its share of drunken fools.

Holly - And I'll take a small percentage as a finder's fee.

Diva - Whoa is right.

Slyde - Dude, that doesn't make any sense. If someone is making a list of things they haven't done yet then how can those things that he hasn't done have prevented him from having done something else besides the thing he hasn't done? Huh, what? Oh, just your way of saying I'm a geek? Glass houses, dude. Big freakin' glass houses, dude. Look around. :)

Becky - Seriously, don't encourage him. But chili for breakfast? I think I'm a little in love. ;)

Kate said...

Freaky man.
(Slyde plays D & D! Tee he)

hello haha narf said...

think?? THINK??!??!! you THINK you are a little in love?
and it was the fact that i will eat any meal at any time of the day that sent you over the edge?
sheesh.

Bruce Johnson said...

Very freaky and probably just a coincidence, but if you do win the lottery this week...........we need to talk.

Verdant Earl said...

Kate - yeah, he doth protest too much.

Becky - Shhh...I was being coy. Gia reads this, fer crissakes. ;) And it's not just any meal at any time. It's fucking chili for fucking breakfast! Too of my favorite things in the world wrapped up in one. Well, three...if we count you. :)

Verdant Earl said...

Bruce - If I win the lottery this week you probably wouldn't be able to get in touch with me for about six months. That beach hut in Fiji I've been dreaming about won't have any phones or computer access, is what I'm sayin'.

RW said...

And on that star they will find the Freemason alien builders of the pyramids. No doubt.

sybil law said...

Hahahaha @ Slyde!!
And that really is weird. But, awesome!

Verdant Earl said...

RW - or Tom Cruise.

Sybil - happens to me all the time. Never for anything important, though.