Jan 25, 2010

The Mid-Winter Blahs




I'm suffering from a severe case of the Mid-Winter Blahs. The holidays have been over for a number of weeks and all that looms on the short-term horizon are grey days and chilly nights.

Barely left the house this weekend. Spent most of it under the covers watching movies and football. Or sleeping. I'm on the second book from my Hugo list, but I've been having trouble getting into it.  Also, I've got a couple of client meetings on Monday, and I'm just dreading them.

I'd like to fly to St. Somewhere, but I think I need two solid months of beach living.  Or that's what my Mid-Winter brain is telling me, anyway.  A long weekend or a week just doesn't feel like it will be enough.  I'm constantly hearing the words of Rogers Hornsby playing over and over in my head.
People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. - Rogers Hornsby

It really doesn't have anything to do with missing baseball at all.  But I have been doing my fair share of staring out the window and waiting for Spring.

Sigh.
___________________________________________________

Note: Remember to play the Bug-Eyed Trivia Challenge every day. Or not...whatever.

13 comments:

savannah said...

xoxoxo i hear y'all, sugar, and feel y'all's pain! xoxox

Anonymous said...

Florida is nice this time of year and hey, let's face it...we've got an awesome bunch of people here.

Doobie doo.

Slyde said...

quit hogging all the blankets in the morning...

my feet get cold.

Verdant Earl said...

Savannah - yeah, but geaux Saints, eh?

Hilly - Florida is nice this time of year (and ya can't beat the local personalities), but I was thinking more of a beach hut in Fiji. Yeah...

Slyde - You know I like to sleep nekkid and I need the blanket...

Suzi Q said...

I'm with ya on that, we just had a three day blizzard and now there's five feet of snow everywhere and it's dark and I'm tired of it!

Verdant Earl said...

Suzi - we haven't had much snow this Winter so far. Just that one blizzard about a month ago. But it has been awfully cold and windy and grey. Blech.

sybil law said...

I hear ya. We were teased with some near 50 degree weather this weekend, and now we're back to damn freezing.
Now I understand all those snowbirds going to Florida. And I'm not even 40, yet!
Can I go to Fiji with you and Gia?!! Please?

Mrs. Hall said...

yeah. i hear ya. on seseme street this morning..the theme was 'seasons'. and then they talked about the spring and summer season and my daughter looked at me and said

"when it's spring we can go back to the parks and rollerblade".

and I smiled and hugged her cause dammit!!!!

blah indeed!!!

Water Logged Canine said...

At least today is beautiful.

RW said...

Look for the beauty in your heart, grasshopper. And drink like there's no tomorrow.

Verdant Earl said...

Sybil - Consider it done!

Holly - I'm down with hitting the park this Spring. It's just too far away.

Doggie - Oh, fer sure! (For those of you not aware, it's stormin' like Hell here in NY today. Trees down all over the fucking place.)

RW - Back and forth to the liquor cabinet and the freezer for ice cubes was the only reason to get out of bed this weekend. It helps.

Kate said...

I feel your pain B.E., but I'm afraid our time is up.

Bundle up and go take a brisk walk around the block. You'll feel better, trust me. :)

Bruce Johnson said...

It is 65 degrees today and sunny here in Arizona....of course this state is bankrupt and there are no jobs...but hey.....I am wearing short sleeves!!!