Jan 29, 2010

Music Video Fridays: The Ladies

Every once in a while I catch this song on Gia's iPod and every time I ask her who it is. It's "Chasing Pavements" by Adele, and it's pretty fucking fantastic.  It kind of bothers me that she was born the year that I graduated college, but hey...we're all getting older.  Well, everyone except Rob Lowe.  That guy's got a fucking portrait in his closet for sure.  But Adele...yeah, brilliant.


Speaking of British ladies with some soul, check out Amy Winehouse back before she wrecked herself. Hard to believe this was her only about six years ago. The song is "Stronger Than Me" off of her Frank album.


We'll round it out with a little Beth Ditto and Gossip.  I don't know when they dropped the "The" from the band's name, but there it is.  This one is "Heavy Cross" off of their album Music for Men.  I know Ms. Ditto isn't for everyone, but damn if I don't love her attitude.  She rocks!


___________________________________________________

Note: Remember to play the Bug-Eyed Trivia Challenge every day. Seriously, what the hell happened to Amy Winehouse?

13 comments:

Kate said...

I like it all! Never heard Beth Ditto before, she does rock! Amy Winehouse, isn't she a crack head? Too bad. I liked her video song best.

Slyde said...

"It kind of bothers me that she was born the year that I graduated college"

She was born in 1942? She looks good for her age...

That Hank said...

Mmm, Beth Ditto. She's a hot mama.

Verdant Earl said...

Kate - The walking corpse that Winehouse has become is a huge tragedy. She was all right, back in the day.

Slyde - Don't look now, but she was born the year you were a sophomore at that geek college you went to. Your games are fooling no one.

Hank - And you know her in real life, don't you?

That Hank said...

Not as well as I'd like to, ifyouknowwhatI'msayin', but yeah. We used to hang out when she'd tour through the south.

i am the diva said...

I think Adele is one of the sweetest, most humble pop acts out there, and boy - does she have the pipes... she's always so cute, when she thanks the audience when she performs live.

Amy Winehouse used to be smokin' hot... and i really really dig her new R&B sound. really. a lot.

Also, THANK YOU for posting Beth Ditto and Gossip - i heard the song ONCE On the radio, and i loved it, but they never said who it was, and now i know... i have written it down. it shall be purchased from iTunes tonight.... and by purchased i mean downloaded illegally...

Verdant Earl said...

Hank - she'd have a good time at Effed Up Punk Night, that's fer sure.

Diva - I used to have a bit of a thing for Amy, before all the insanity. She had curves...and soul. Both are missing now. Very sad.

justsomethoughts... said...

earl, that is a very good song
hard to believe I never heard it
But thank you.

I do see a trend

Verdant Earl said...

Dude - which song of the three did you like?

sybil law said...

I was just listening to Amy Winehouse the other day, and my 8 year old daughter was asking me, "What's rehab?" and other fun questions.

Verdant Earl said...

Sybil - the music was better on that album, but the woman herself was well on her way to skanksville. It's not a pretty place. Le sigh.

Avitable said...

I'm just not a fan of Amy Winehouse. Her music, I mean. She's a waste of space personally, but that's a given.

Verdant Earl said...

Avitable - A total waste of space. But I do dig her music. Different strokes you know...