Jan 11, 2010

Earl's favorite film scenes: Volume II

I've got a ton of posts (okay, four) in draft that I'm just too lazy to finish right now. I kinda have them written in my head the way I want them to read, but when I try to put digital pen to digital paper it kinda goes awry.

But that's okay. Because I've got crap like this to share. A scene from The Royal Tenenbaums with Gene Hackman and Danny Glover.  One of those films that you either love or just don't get. I'm firmly in the love camp on this one.

Who knew Gene Hackman could be so funny? Well, I guess Mel Brooks knew when he cast him as the blind man in Young Frankenstein. And he was funny as Lex Luthor in the Superman films.  But he carries The Royal Tenenbaums. And that's saying something considering the incredible cast that supports him.

This one is short and sweet. So enjoy!



___________________________________________________

Note: Remember to play the Bug-Eyed Trivia Challenge every day. Hat tip to Water Logged Canine for reminding me about this one.

13 comments:

Water Logged Canine said...

A real movie. No robotic sharks.

Verdant Earl said...

Doggie - AHA! How do you know it was a robotic shark if you haven't seen it? Hmmm? (Sorry people...a little inside baseball there)

Unknown said...

Gene Hackman looks great in that film. I liked Danny Glover's timing in their routine too.

This is another one which I missed completely and thanks to you I'll catch it sometime.

savannah said...

another really good one that slipped under the radar! stellar performances because no one tried too hard to be quirky... thanks for the reminder, sugar! xoxoxo

Verdant Earl said...

MikeB - I honestly think it is one of Hackman's best performance. "That's the last time you put a knife in me! You hear me?"

Savannah - Yeah, the film itself was so quirky that it almost seems like the actors specifically tried to play it straight so they could let the weirdness of the script just say it all. I dunno.

Slyde said...

ah, its nice to see someone else liked that movie.

i usually hear nothing but hate about RT.

Slyde said...

p.s. my word verification word was "CORKAR".

I think i'll use that as the name of my barbarian in my next DnD game.

Did i just say "my" DnD game? I mean't "YOUR" DnD game. I'm way too cool to play DnD.

Fag.

Water Logged Canine said...

I was born at night, but I wasn't born last night!

You heard me, Coltrane!

Verdant Earl said...

Slyde - let a little some-some slip there, eh? By the way, I watched The Gamers: Dorkness Rising over the weekend. I think you and your game group should watch it like a documentary.

Doggie - "Anybody interested in grabbing a couple of burgers and hittin' the cemetery?"

Barlinnie said...

Ahhh bollix, you lost me at the word 'Royal'.

Verdant Earl said...

Jimmy - Touched a nerve, eh? Sorry 'bout that.

sybil law said...

LOVE that movie!

Kate said...

Slyde plays DnD? AH HA AHA!!

I'm putting RT on my list to rent. Gene H. rules.