Mar 7, 2009

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?*

*Loosely translated as "Who Watches the Watchmen?" Well, we did. That's who! - Earl


So Slyde and I had a gays night out yesterday. Guys night out. Guys night out. I meant guys night out. Sigh.

Anyway, we caught an early viewing of Watchmen and we, um, watched it in the newest IMAX theater on Long Island. This, my friends, is the way to, um, watch this film. The IMAX Experience was everything I hoped it would be, and more!

As for the film itself? It was damn near perfect in my eyes. Sure, they cut the "Marooned" storyline and they changed the ending (but stuck to the original intent). And a bunch of really small plotlines were pared down. Only way they could have done it, in my opinion. The Extended Cut DVD will address some of the missing stuff, I'm sure.

But the feel of the original comic-books were there. In full IMAX glory. Rorschach was perfect. The Comedian was perfect. Nite Owl was perfect. Dr. Manhattan was perfect. Ozymandias was damn near perfect. In fact, the only one I had a problem with was Silk Spectre II. She looked the part, but I don't think she was much of an actress. And she sounded much too much like Cameron Diaz for my liking.

This shit could have failed miserably. It should have failed miserably. The comic-book (graphic novel always sounded pretentious to me) was such a high mark in the art form that I always felt a film adaptation would inevitably fail. Zack Snyder proves once again that he is nothing except a director willing to make faithful adaptations of the original source material. Well, except for making zombies fast and super-strong. But that's another story.

So, here is my advice to you:
  1. Go see it.
  2. Go see it now!
  3. Remember to see it in IMAX.
  4. Go see it in IMAX now!
  5. Seriously, what the fuck are you waiting for?
  6. And leave the kids at home. There is lots of blue CGI penis in this one.
  7. I had you at "blue CGI penis", didn't I?

Watchmen has leapt past The Dark Knight and Iron Man as my favorite comic-book adaptation/superhero film just like that. Shit, it may be one of my all-time favorite films of any genre. I loved it that much!

I can't wait to see it again. And again.

Who watches the Watchmen? You all should.
______________________________________________________

Note: Remember to play the Bug-Eyed Trivia Challenge every day. All the costumed heroes are doing it.

17 comments:

Slyde said...

agreed...

except for you trying to pull the popcorn trick on me, it was a near perfect experience...

Verdant Earl said...

Slyde - You know you love the popcorn trick. And I was getting jealous of you staring at Doc's blue penis so intently. Woogah!!!

Barlinnie said...

See.. it starts with wearing silk and can often end in cupcakes and flower arranging.

Think of the motel scene with Steve Martin and John Candy, in Planes, Trains and Automobiles!

There are NO fluffy pillows in your relationship!

Anonymous said...

I give up on the penis. Even blue and CGI. Sigh. (OK, truthfully, I don't even know what CGI is. Perhaps this is why men are not interested?)

Avitable said...

TDK and Iron Man are still the top of my list, but Watchmen is up there. Silk Spectre II actually sounded just like Anna Faris, which was really bizarre to hear.

The ending was my biggest problem. I'm going to spoil it here, so if you don't want to read this, don't!
s
p
o
i
l
e
r
The original point of the scheme was to create a huge, psychically and emotionally terrifying enemy that the entire human race would unite to fight, thus creating peace.

The new end gives an American superhero destroying foreign cities as well as a few American ones, which would actually lead to the world uniting against America, even if they denounced Jon. That's the biggest flaw in my opinion.

I still really liked it, though.

Dr Zibbs said...

Did Slyde pull the popcorn trick on you?

hello haha narf said...

i am really looking forward to to seeing it, but i don't think it is going to happen this weekend. although i haven't even so much as touched the comic book, i still have a bizarre excitement about this movie. but imax? i think i would hurl with all the action, right?

Verdant Earl said...

Jimmy - gotta stay strong.

bogirrl - Heya again! Stay far away from any penis that is blue. That's my advice.

Avitable - Snyder said the multitude of sub-plots involved with the original ending would have been too time-consuming. It definitely would have been better, but this was a decent back-up plan. Doc's appearance on the talk show and subsequent disappearance showed that he had become isolated from all of humanity, not just non-Americans. A bit of a stretch taking that to the next part of the plan, but it worked for me.

Zibbs - No, but he did gently rest his hand on my knee a few times. Very sweet, actually. ;)

Becky - No. It isn't as action-packed as the trailer promises. But you get totally surrounded by the film...that's a good thing.

Anonymous said...

Better than The Dark Knight *and* Iron Man. That's some recommendation. I'll go see it once I actually get around to reading the book that I borrowed from a friend about 2 years ago. Oh good lord I suck.

Verdant Earl said...

Kevin - I'm a big Watchmen fanboy, so take it with a grain of salt.

Michelle said...

J had every intention of seeing Watchmen. But i wasn't going to do the IMAX!!

Now, I am!! Thanks!!

See, you should have called me, I could have brought MORE popcorn and stuff!!!

:O)

BACON!!!!

Michelle said...

The J should be I.....

Just saying!!

Anonymous said...

TGH took the day off and we saw it Friday too. I thought it really stayed true to the novel and where they made changes, well, it really had to be done. I only had a few issues with it where I noticed that if I hadn't read the graphic novel that I would not have known what was happening, but they were minor and didn't detract much. Funny what you said about Silk Spectre II - my husband said she reminded him too much of Cameron Diaz too! Freaky. Well, I just realized she is the same actress who played the younger sister in 27 Dresses so that is where I had seen her before. I didn't particularly like Dr. Manhattan's quiet voice but other than that, the movie was great. I hope they did something with the Marooned story on the DVD or separately somehow. Oh, and yeah, the blue CGI penis was a nice treat for us ladies and um, the guys who are into that sort of thing too, I suppose. ;)

Verdant Earl said...

Michelle - All about the IMAX.

Teeni - they did an animated version of Marooned with Gerald Butler narrating. It will be on the DVD, and it will be released earlier on its own later this month on DVD.

Ookami Snow said...

I caught the movie last night, and I have to say, I didn't really like it. However:
1) I didn't read the comics.
2) I don't like V for Vendetta, and I generally dislike the theme of "the end justifies the means".
3) I didn't think the last Batman was the kitten's whiskers. It was good but not awesome.
4) About 10 minutes into this movie it decided that I am totally over comic book movies, I am just tired of them.

I could see how people could like this movie, but it wasn't for me. Also, I have never seen as much naked blue man in my life.

Verdant Earl said...

Ookami - well, I don't think that "end justifies the means" was the whole point of the story. More something for the characters to react to, but I hear what you are sayin'. I still loved it.

jiggs said...

I agree with all your points with the exception of silk spectre ii. granted, she might not have been the best actress, but she had an ass that just wouldn't quit.