Mar 15, 2009

Things change

Back when Slyde and I originally watched Grindhouse, I was convinced that the better half of the double feature was Quentin Tarantino's "Death Proof". I thought that "Planet Terror" by Robert Rodriguez was just too over-the-top.

A year and a half later, I think I may have been wrong.

While I have re-watched "Death Proof" a couple of times and enjoyed it, I have watched "Planet Terror" about 8 times now and it just keeps on getting better all the time!

Watching it again right now and it just works. And you can really tell how much Rodriguez loves the genre.

The more things change the more fun it is to watch zombies (or zombie-like creatures) eat folks. That's what I always say.

PS: New remake crappiness over at the MovieGrenade for y'all to ignore. Billy Lenz is watching.

_______________________________________________________

Note: Remember to play the Bug-Eyed Trivia Challenge every day. All the oozy zombies are doing it.

14 comments:

Barlinnie said...

Quentin Tarantino.. now there's a man who thoroughly enjoys his work. Even I have 'Dusk Till Dawn' in the oul filum collection.

Unknown said...

Thanks for that reminder, Earl. I can't believe how out of touch I am. I saw Death Proof only once and would love to see it a few more, but somehow, that Planet Terror slipped by me.

I'll correct that soon.

Dave2 said...

I bounce back and forth. At first I too liked "Death Proof" better... but then thought "Planet Terror" seemed more fun. Now I can't make up my mind.

Avitable said...

When I first saw them in theaters, Planet Terror was so fun and cheesy and completely in tune with the fake movie previews and I loved it. Death Proof seemed too long, too talky, and had only a few scenes. Watching them individually, though, I think Death Proof has improved in my estimation.

Slyde said...

thats funny, because when we left the theatre, i had said i liked planet terror more, but now that i own the dvd's im firmly in the death proof camp..

Poppy said...

Maybe there is something subliminally built into the DVDs that said "whichever one you liked it the theater you're supposed to not like as much now, dumbass."

Gah, subliminals are just so rude.

Your reverse psychology has worked on me. See you over at moviegrenade.

Verdant Earl said...

Jimmy - I love me some Dusk 'Til Dawn.

MikeB - Well, you can see how I feel about it.

Dave2 - Purely on the basis of re-watching them, I think I like Planet Terror more.

Slyde - of course you would be the opposite of me. Of course.

Poppy - I knew it would. ;)

Verdant Earl said...

Avitable - oops...missed you there. That seems to be the consensus. I must be the only one who has seen the reverse effect. Well, Dave2 kinda.

Dr Zibbs said...

I saw this in the theater but haven't seen it since. I'll have to add it to my list.

marty mankins said...

I like both the same, equally. I'm a much bigger Tarantino fan that Rodriguez fan, but they both seem to have matched up on my liking chart.

Michelle said...

Of course I saw neither!!!

Should I? I trust you dude!!!

Verdant Earl said...

Zibbs - definitely worth a re-watch.

Marty - I generally like QT better than RR myself.

Michelle - Do you dig zombies, fast cars, and 70's exploitation flicks? If so, then go for it.

Anonymous said...

planet terror rules the roost for me....

Heff said...

I've ALWAYS liked Planet Terror more. Watched it over the weekend again, as a matter of fact.