Jul 26, 2008

Weekend stolen meme

OK...didn't receive very many guesses. Shame on you. I've listed the answers below - Earl

Stolen with glee from Hilly, since I've got nothing of my own that's any interesting this weekend.

The rules of the fucking game are as follows:

1. Put your mp3 player or music player on your computer on random.
2. Post the first four lines from the first 20songs that play, no matter how embarrassing the song (Skip repeat artists).
3. Post and let everyone you know guess what song AND artist the lines come from.
4. Don’t cheat, or I will come over to your place and steal your Google! Seriously!

I'm gonna leave this up for a few days and add in the correct guesses as they come in. A few are very easy, a few even have the name of the song in the lyrics. A few should be pretty close to impossible.

Let's dance:

1. The ice cream man he's is a hillbilly fan.
Got 78's by Hank Snow.
Walks down the street, shufflin' his feet
to a rhythm that only he knows.
"The Wino and I Know" by Jimmy Buffett - guessed by no one.

2. Noise, noise, noise from down below and it's coming from the basement.
It's underneath the house now and it's rockin' the foundation.
It's a noise we love to make, and for years we have been makin'
while Doctor D watches TV, his house if fucking shakin'.
"Doctor D" by The Mighty Mighty Bosstones - guessed by no one.

3. Hope everything is all right.
Hope everything is alllll right.
What's that floating in the water?
Old Neptune's only daughter.
"Mr. Grieves" by The Pixies - successfully guessed by badgerdaddy.

4. (skip spoken word intro)
Yes, I got more bounce to the fucking bumpin'
And if you wanna know why because I'm mother-fucking truckin'.
I'm in the pocket just like Grady Tate.
I got supplies of beats, so you don't have to wait.
"Professor Booty" by The Beastie Boys - guessed by no one.

5. Oh so long for this night I prayed
That a star would guide you my way.
To share with me this special day,
Where a ribbons in the sky for our love.
"Ribbon in the Sky" by Stevie Wonder - semi-successfully guessed by Artful Kisser.

6. We've lived in bars and danced on tables.
Hotels, streets and ships that sailed.
We swim with sharks,
And fly with aeroplanes in the air.
"Lived in Bars" by Cat Power - guessed by no one.

7. I was blind, I was lame.
I was nothing, til you came.
You said "Babe, make you sing.
Make you feel, like some queen."
"Hook" by PJ Harvey - guessed by no one.

8. Don't say the word, if you don't want it done.
Don't tell me your name, if you don't want it sung.
Don't come any closer, that's good enough.
Don't go away, I can't stand the thought.
"Turn It On" by Sleater-Kinney - guessed by no one.

9. Spotcheck Billy got down on his hands and knees
He said "Hey momma, hey let me check your oil all right?"
She said "No, no honey, not tonight
Comeback Monday, comeback Tuesday, then I might"
"Fat Man in the Bathtub" by Little Feat - successfully guessed by Artful Kisser.

10. He's got a fine tan shirt with an emblem on the chest.
The interstellar girls all like him the best.
Captain of the crew and he knows kung fu,
And he did Joan Collins in 1932.
"William Shatner" by The Scofflaws - guessed by no one.

11. There is something wrong, and there is something right.
When you can take me by hands and I will close my eyes.
When you laid down with me, you took the other side.
When you laid down with me, you never slept that night.
"Fucking Boyfriend" by The Bird and the Bee - guessed by no one.

12. I had visions, I was in them, I was looking into the mirror.
To see a little bit clearer, the rottenness and evil in me.
Fingertips have memories, mine can't forget the curves of your body.
And when i feel a bit naughty, I run it up the flagpole and see who salutes.
(but no one ever does)
"Flagpole Sitta" by Harvey Danger - successfully guessed by Annie, in the comments page of another blog.

13. There are men high up there fishing,
Haven't seen quite enough of the world,
Oh, I ain't seen a sign of my heroes,
And I'm still diving down for pearls.
"Drowned" by The Who - guessed by no one.

14. Well, I dreamed I saw the knights in armor coming,
Saying something about a queen.
There were peasants singing and drummers drumming,
And the archer split the tree.
"After the Gold Rush" by Neil Young - successfully guessed by Annie, in the comments page of another blog.

15. I was at a funeral the day i realized I wanted to spend my life with you.
Sitting down on the steps at the old post office.
The flag was flying at half-mast and i was thinking' bout how
Everyone is dying and maybe it's time to lie.
"PS, You Rock My World" by The Eels - guessed by no one.

16. So a love-struck Romeo, he's sings the streets a serenade.
Laying everybody low, with the love song that he made.
He finds his streetlight, he steps out of the shade.
He says something like "You and me, babe. How 'bout it?"
"Romeo & Juliet" by Dire Straits - semi-successfully guessed by Miss Ann Thrope.

17. If you wanna make the move then you better come in.
It's just the ability to reason that wears so thin.
Living and dying and the stories that are true.
Secrets to a good life is knowing when you're through.
"Time Bomb" by Rancid - successfully guessed by Miss Ann Thrope.

18. How long, how long will I slide.
Separate my side.
I don’t...I don’t believe it’s bad,
Slit my throat, it’s all I ever...
"Otherside" by Red Hot Chili Peppers - successfully guessed by Miss Ann Thrope.

19. I can never forget you - the way you rock the girls.
They move a world and love you - a blast in the underworld.
I stick a knife in my head - thinking bout your eyes.
But now that you been shot dead - Ive got a new surprise.
"100%" by Sonic Youth - successfully guessed by Miss Ann Thrope.

20. All my life I've been searching for somethin'.
Somethin' never comes, never leads to nuthin'.
Nothin' satisfies, but I'm gettin' close .
Closer to the prize at the end of the rope.
"All My Life" by Foo Fighters - successfully guessed by Miss Ann Thrope.


PS - It's a little funny how this came out because a handful of these are some of my favorite songs of all time. And I had to forward past a lot of songs because I was only picking 20 artists and I have a lot of stuff by 4 or 5 artists on my iPod. Jeez, some of those lyrics sound awfully dark and depressing, eh?

Good luck, and I'm gonna go listen to some music. - Earl

15 comments:

Kaye Waller said...

I'm definitely going to have to snag this.

Verdant Earl said...

Steph - But first you are gonna make a few guesses, right?

Kaye Waller said...

I can't even begin! I'm an old fart, remember?

Donna said...

I'm doing the bottom 4 but I pretty much know them all. I've wandered the internet hogging all the lyrics to this meme because this is totally my kinda thing. It makes me happy.

However, I'll stop at 4 so you don't have to kill me.

16. Indigo Girls -Romeo & Julliet
17. Rancid -Time Bomb (I prefer Ruby Soho)
18. Otherside -RHCP
19.Sonic Youth -100%
20. all my life -foo fighters

Verdant Earl said...

Steph - C'mon...you might know a few.

Miss Ann - I prefer Ruby Soho as well, but Time Bomb came up first. And I'll give you #16, but Indigo Girls covered it. The original, and the best, is by Dire Straits. ;)

Donna said...

Well smack my ass and call me Sally.

do you knoiw that i had NO IDEA Dire Straits did that song? WTF? I am totally losing my touch.

Verdant Earl said...

Ann - ::smack:: Sally!!! ;)

Anonymous said...

I have no idea, but it sounds like a lot of blue grass type songs.

Verdant Earl said...

Mrs. Hall - not a bluegrass song in the bunch. One or two are kinda country, but not really.

badgerdaddy said...

3 is Mr Grieves, by Pixies.

annie said...

Oh Hi! I will copy and paste the comment to here. Ha-ha!

#12 is Flagpole Sitta, Harvey Danger LOVE that song!!! I have seen it referenced two other times this week. Hmmm some sort of weird synchronicity going on?

And #14 is Neil Young, After the Gold Rush. LOVE him. I have almost all of his albums. He came into my restaurant once and I got to stare at him for a couple of hours. He was pretty good friends with my boss.


Hey, I like a lot of your music, too. I think. I can't guess what any of the others are. Maybe I will go cheat now and look some up.

Verdant Earl said...

badger - knew a Pixies fan would get that.

Annie - I'll post the answers later today or tomorrow, I guess.

Artful Kisser said...

I dunno how I know this, but #9 is Fat Man in the Bathtub by Little Feat. And you also got Stevie Wonder at #5.

Verdant Earl said...

AK - Aha...but what is the song? Nevermind. I'll give it to ya! Ribbon in the Sky.

Suzi Q said...

Dang! I was away for the weekend and missed out on this one! Ah well, next time!