Jul 28, 2008

What you need, Pt. II

1. Is this an actual commercial for Guinness? You tell me. Brings new meaning to the sharing of bodily fluids.


2. I don't know what's more impressive. The Harry Carey impersonation in this clip, or the fact that it's a pro athlete doing it rather than someone like Will Ferrell. (Well, the fuckers at MLB took the clip down already. Crap! Quick, try it here before it gets shit-canned as well! - Earl)

3. We saw The Dark Knight on Saturday evening, and we both loved it! Unlike our friend Lotus07. We saw it in a small, trashy theater that is pretty close to us in hopes that it wouldn't be packed. Not so lucky. A group of rowdy teens were behind us, and apparently they were bothering Gia and the rest of the "adults" around us. I say "apparently" because I get lost in theaters when watching movies and I rarely notice anything going on off of the big screen. The kids got thrown out at around the 1:30 mark by the manager of the joint. And there was much rejoicing. Yay!

4. Is there any bigger douchebag then Gene Simmons, formerly of KISS? Probably. But is there a bigger douchebag who has a "reality" show in which he gets to flaunt his douchebaggery to the viewing public? Maybe. But is there a bigger douchebag who has his own "reality" show that is currently playing in the background on TV as I type this? Definitely not!

5. Going back to Batman for a moment. If anyone out there enjoyed The Dark Knight then they should seek out and read Alan Moore's The Killing Joke, if you haven't already done so. It explores many of the same themes from the film and is one of the more powerful graphic novels ever written about the relationship between the Joker and the Batman. Arkham Asylum by Grant Morrison is also a fascinating take on the Dark Knight, the Joker and Two-Face. The psyche of Two-Face, in particular, is very revealing. Go read 'em! Heath Ledger supposedly did.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

The fact that Gene Simmons has a reality show is news to me. Sounds like another plus for being an expat.

Verdant Earl said...

MikeB - It's called "Gene Simmons' Family Jewels"...get the reference to his balls? It's about his family life with his lady, Shannon Tweed and his two kids. Oh and it's about him prancing around like the giant douchebag that he is as well.

Slyde said...

gene simmons was great fun to watch on the Apprentice this season.. he is a right crazy-man.

regarding Killing Joke, i liked it, but i didnt love it.....

Bruce Johnson said...

I knew bitching about "The Dark Knight" was going to reserver me a front row seat in HELL! For mindless comic book fun it is a well done film, I am just not thrilled with the direction that Hollywood is taking with so many of these films. Is it really 'art' or is it just merly eye candy for most young'uns?

On Gene Simmons....never really had an opinion until I saw him on 'The Celebrity Apprentice'...what an ass hole. He is so full of himself that excrement must drip out of every oriface he has.

RW said...

That's a vey exploitive, sex-object making video commercial you've got there.

Cool!!

Verdant Earl said...

Slyde - You've got Alan Moore issues. Admit it.

Lotus - I like to present both sides of the argument. Hence the link to your review. I, for one, thought The Dark Knight was art. But you know what they say about the eye of the beholder...

Verdant Earl said...

RW - Made me want a Guinness. Or something.

pure evyl said...

I'm thirsty.

Anonymous said...

Not sure if I am the only girl posting here.The commerical was weird.

I was not offened by the use of the woman as a table. But I was more disapointed by the lameness. Not sexy at all. And it takes a moron to make sex look unsexy.

My husband is a huge fan of that beer. It has a little fizzy thing on the bottom of the glass bottles. Very cool effect.

:)

Verdant Earl said...

Evyl - sicko! ;)

Mrs. Hall - I love that widget at the bottom of the bottle too! I think it's listed on my profile as my favorite gadget. And I can't imagine that it is a real commercial. A little too un-PC for the general viewing public.

limpy99 said...

And look how well reading those books worked out for Heath.

Too soon?

Verdant Earl said...

Limpy - never too soon for a good death joke.